Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance no claims bonus

Options
  • 27-03-2024 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

I had to pay my insurance company some money for a claim during the last insurance year as they said the recovery and storage of my vehicle was my fault due to a mechanical issue.

As I.paid them the money they say the claim is now closed and that I will keep my previous no claim bonus which is 8 years. My insurance is up for renewal shortly so just wondering if this is the case if I go with another insurer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

You should contact the insurer about this, to know whether it falls into a NCB protection (if you have it) or not. I don't think it would be any issue as the company had it refunded from you.

But why did you make a claim for what seems to be more like a breakdown service?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This query is in the context of the OP possibly moving to a different insurer. Whether the incident mentioned falls into NCB protection is neither here nor there if the OP goes looking for quotes. NCB Protection only applies when you stay with your current insurer.

But the OP has been told that there was no claim so that incident does not need to be mentioned to any other insurer.

The OP should wait for the renewal documentation and if that has no mention of this incident, he will be able to get quotes from other companies with a clean sheet i.e. answer 'no' when asked about any recent claims. Because it's the no-claims cert that comes with the renewal that you use to certify your claims record if you decide to move.

Advertisement