Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone adding my email as their recovery email

Options
  • 27-03-2024 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi I received 2 emails this week from Google saying that someone added my email as their recovery email.

I also received an email from what looks like a Russian name which I never received before but didn't open it.

Has this happened to anyone? Can anyone advise me what I should do and what does this mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ignore it rather than click on the bit to disassociate the accounts. It could be a case of trying to determine whether your email address is real and being used. By clicking to unlink the account, they know that your address is active and that makes it more valuable for scammers. It's likely an automated spam process against random email addresses rather than the Kremlin trying to hack you specifically.

You can put your email address into https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your password was recovered from any breach. If it is there, and you haven't changed it in a while, you should probably change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Thanks a mil for your help I haven't had any emails like this for a long time and was worried that my email account was hacked. I think I will change my password anyway I have had the same one for a long time. Once again thanks for your much appreciated advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

And enable 2 factor authentication with your mobile number. I had an email recently with a link telling me I might recognise 2 people in a photo.Very sneaky,it had a friend's name as having got same

Advertisement