Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 gang 3 switch lighting circuit

Options
  • 27-03-2024 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi. I am trying to figure out new lighting circuit for bedroom. Currently I have 1 ceiling lamp and 1 2way switch. I want to add 2 bedside lamps amd 2 switches, 1 either side of bed. I want the 2 bedside switches to operate all 3 lamps but am happy for the original switch for ceiling lamp to operate just the ceiling lamp. Am I right in saying. Live feed into common of original switch looped into each common of 1 3 gang switch. Strappers between each l1/l2. Then from the second 3 gang switch, switch wire from each common to each lamp. Electrician here but not domestic so want to make sure I have the right thinking. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

You're an electrician but don't know how to wire a light switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

This is one of the finest examples of a boards pig ignorant comment having half read the post.

To OP, sketch out the circuits, much easier to understand esp if you are coming from industrial.

Lol BS I made a fair point

A trained electrician sketching out light circuits ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Daniel son

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JustAPoorDreamer

At OP. you could make this much easier for yourself buly running a twin brown aka a strapper wire to all 3 switchs for the main center light and having the switch wire for that from the main switch. For the two wall lights you will need a strapper for both to both bedside switches and for the left hand light you will have its switch wire from there but its live from the switch the other side and vice verso for the right. If you already have a live at the main bedroom switch then you just need to go from it to both them switchs looped at one and ending at the other. You will only need that live in two commons on both switches as the other one will have a switch wire in it.

However if the switch wire for the main light is at that switch too then you will have to have the phase for it at the third switch and then you will need an intermediate switch for it too in the middle if you want it switched from 3 switchs. No idea if you can get a 3 gang switch with an inter and two normal switchs on it.

You could make it a lot simpler by just switching the wall lights from the switch beside them abd the center light too so you would only need 2 two gangs then.

Otherwise yes you would need a live and a switch wire at that switch and then a switch wire for the light from one of the bed side switches but you then run the risk of pressing both switchs on for the center light and having too much voltage there 360 volt instead of 240 and possibly blowing your light fitting or light bulb. It would be like have 2 phase at the light if that happened. Not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

If you think industrial and domestic are so different that light switches need diagrams in this scenario, its time to get in a DIYer.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GarlicBed

I was harsh i take it back

Op should be able to sketch it out anyway without assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

Edit

Post edited by Delta Lima on

• Registered Users Posts: 19 phil21_06

What a bunch of trolls.... if you have nothing good to say just scroll on you don't belong here. @JustAPoorDreamer thanks for your help. I figured it out anyway just needed to sit down and think about it. Was just looking for clarification before wiring it and certainly didn't come here for a#£holes making useless comments. Grow up and get a life. Coming from switchgear and only ever doing lighting circuits in college over 20 years ago. Thats why not 100% on lighting circuits but thanks for your useless inputs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 phil21_06

Yes I was able to get a 3 gang switch but had interchangeable switches so was able to replace a 2way with inter switch. Thanks for your advice.

Advertisement