Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic question

Options
  • 26-03-2024 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Forgive my ignorance but I was visiting my mother ( hundred miles across the country) with the kids for the Easter holidays and someone knocked a bunch of nests out of the trees in front of her house while she was away over the weekend gone by , they were able to get into the trees from the public road so no trespassing on grounds of her house .

Question is, at this stage, will the birds rebuild the nests again or is it too late?

The nests ( about six ) are completely gone - destroyed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Was this seen happening or found in the morning? Windy night destroying crows nests? Report to your local wildlife ranger.

Can't answer the rebuilding question. I guess it depends on the species but someone more knowledgeable may be able to answer.

And not a basic question at all! Very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Hi there, no she wasn't present when it happened, no sign of eggs on ground so just presumed that it was too early for laying and thus they might rebuild?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Too early for most yet. Probably old nests and they will rebuild. Several around here were brought down by the wind recently and branches breaking due to Ash dieback in many trees,

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Yes, Ash dieback is going to cause a lot of this, and reduced nesting sites, in the near future. Hopefully they are quick to find another suitable site.

Advertisement