Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSN number location (Corcaigh/Cork)

Options
  • 26-03-2024 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I'm moving into Europe for a job in the coming weeks, and as part of that I need to pick up my BSN number. I'm in Corcaigh/Cork, can anyone let me know the exact location for that please? I'd be eternally grateful 🙏🏻

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well as far as I know a BSN is a Dutch citizen ID number.... why they'd be giving them out in Cork, I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gaeliclad

Thanks for reply - it's needed for working there, for whatever reason (I've never lived/worked abroad)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Probably a similar reason to why a Dutch citizen coming to live here needs to get a PPSN.

I'd be surprised if you can get one while you're still living here- but maybe I'm wrong. Try the Living Abroad forum, maybe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You will have to get it when you register at the local government office. Better do some more research

https://ind.nl/en/forms/8005.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I’m unclear. Are you moving to Cork or are you moving to (I assume) the Netherlands?

If you’re moving to Ireland, you need a PPSN. You apply for that in Ireland, when you’ve secured a job. You have to have a reason to apply for one or they won’t issue it.

In the Netherlands and in most of the EU you apply to the local city hall or equivalent to register your residency and then they issue a number like that, often through a tax or social security office.

There’s a misunderstanding that you can just move to any EU country without any requirements to register. Ireland is very unusual in that we don’t have a system like that. It’s only a if you apply for a PPSN.

Most EU countries also require formal registration of your presence in the country, usually after 90 days of being resident and you often have to show you’ve reason to be there, even though that can include seeking work.

You usually cannot apply from outside, although some countries like Spain issue ID numbers though their embassies for non residents buying property etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement