Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have new (new to me) bike itch, suggestions welcome...FJR1300?

Options
  • 26-03-2024 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I've a BMWF800GT 2013 nicely kept and there's probably no good PRACTICAL reason to change it

it goes well filtering in traffic, find it has a nice balance to it for a short arse like me @5'8" and its ok on a run to Wexford

I do try to remember that 'all bikes are fast' but if I'm honest I'm a bit bored with it, all things considered reckon I want to go up a sports tourer peg

I LOVED the idea of a K1600GT for a while (I'm all about engines doubt I'd need a radio with that lovely sound) and I bet it would smash the long runs but it seems defo not a daily ride to me plus maybe I watched too many YT vids of lads dropping them and nearly needing a crane contractor to help uprite them again and reading stories about valve adjustment, tyre wear and other costs

then dreamed a bit about 1250RT's...again other things to put me off a wee bit

most recent YT bike pr0n viewing history shows me I seem to like Yamaha FJR1300's

so I'll start there. anyone got or had an FJR1300 current or older and if so what's riding and owning one like?

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

The world’s your oyster friend..and posting here will just make it worse😀…everything’s so good now, i tend to go for the one that looks cool (to me), and aint japanese..

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

Two FJ's for sale on dondeal right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

Had a 02 FJR back in the day it was my first big touring bike and was viewed as a bit of an old man's yoke by the Rossi wanna be's in my circle of friends. Yeah it won't keep up with a Blade on a twisty back road or can't filter as fast as a Fazer or something of that ilk but if i was to hop on a bike now and "race" someone down to the Pyrenees it's the one i'd pick. It's utterly brilliant if you are doing long commuter miles and very little goes wrong. The shaft drive is bullet proof compared to BMW's of that era anyway mine went to 105,000 miles with zero issues and the fella i sold the bike to put another 35k miles on it before he wrote it off.

I changed my suspension at 55k miles to an Ohlins unit on the rear and springs up front and had them installed and set up by NDM at the time and well let's just say i thought it was a new bike completely.

It's heavy yeah but not Pan European heavy i think it's around 50kg lighter but feels 100kg lighter when you are moving it around the garage. There was a courier in Dublin who had one with over 250,000 miles on it years ago so that in itself tells a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have an 09 RP13 ex Dutch Police, it has extra protective fairings for cold weather use.

In terms of comfort, very nice bikes to do big miles on, especially if they have bar risers, electric screen makes it simple to adjust for your height or need for wind in the face.

Engine is great, big torque so no need to rev.

I love it but have changed jobs so don't get a chance to ride it much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A friend of mine has one an it's been bulletproof for many years. Like you he had top notch Ohlins fitted front & back and it transformed the bike.

I know some of the newer ones had gearbox issues that should have been dealt with under warranty, so always check that (6-speed ones iirc).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement