Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet Lawn

Options
  • 26-03-2024 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Last year I went to the trouble of draining a section of my lawn( measuring 37 feet x 16 feet approx ) by laying a 4" drainage pipe back filled with small stones down the center of the section of the lawn that I wanted drained. Length of pipe would be in excess of 37 feet. I was advised that it would solve my wet lawn problem. Alas it was not to be , a section of my lawn on one side of my drainage pipe is still wet and soggy whereas the other side of my drainage pipe is pretty okay. Can I inquire from you good gardeners how I could further improve my drainage issue on lawn. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Which side is wet? The high or low end? Where did the drainage drain to? Into a ditch? Main drains? If it's the low end and into a drain then it's highly likely that the water is draining through the drainage you installed but has nowhere to go once it gets to the draining end. You need to take into consideration the amount of rain that's fallen for the last 10 months. The water table is exceptionally high every where at the moment. If your in a rural area have a look out the window and see if there's any fields with floods in them beside you, that'll give you an indication of the water table.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

There has been a huge amount of rain though. Even dry gardens are soaked....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

I live on the side of a hill and the flat parts are waterlogged.

It has been raining since the end of last June - I don't think the country has ever been wetter.

Don't Panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭slystallone

I just moved in here and am thinking what to do with this front lawn. its v wet at the moment (which i know what you are thinking everywhere is wet) but was thinking about trying to tackle it. is bringing the whole lawn to the level of the front step actually something that is on the table, or am I in fantasy land with that idea. I guess it would look possibly a bit odd as the lawn would be half way up that front wall. Also am thinking drainage. I can see there is a few drains dotted along the road nearby, one outside the wall just near that pier in the photo, so possibly I am thinking there is a drain pipe I could possibly go into outside the wall, but then am I having to get council involved then at that stage. Am guessing the drainage pipe from the lawn would have to go under that front wall to join into the mains drain. Is that a simple enough process to do that drainage for someone with experience or is it pie in the sky type of stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭bfclancy2

you'd be above the wall if you maintain the level of the step and that wall wasn't built to retain that depth of soil, you'll need a new retaining wall built inside existing wall

• Advertisement
Advertisement