Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower door sealing: replace sealing between the actual glass panel and the metal frame

Options
  • 26-03-2024 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So, the sealing that runs around the (sliding) shower door glass panels (sealing the glass and the metal frame) is visibly discoloured and mouldy and I would like to replace it.

The seal doesn't look or feel like the classic silicone that you'd normally find in bathrooms. It is thinner, evenly shaped, a mix of rubbery/plastic-y to the touch and very likely the original stuff the shower came with from the manufacturer. It was installed about 13 years ago.

Could I safely remove it and replace it with clear Tec7, for example, without compromising anything that I haven't thought of (relative DIY beginner here but have successfully done some silicone sealing in my life).

Thanks for any tips, hints and thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

As a plumber, I have never heard of anyone replacing these seals. I don't believe these are available. I'd a call the other day from someone looking to replace the glass only on the door.

If I am wrong then best place to ask is a bathroom showroom. If that fails I wonder would a window company be able to help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 3 baahsheep

Thanks for your reply.
    My plan was to cut them out with a knife (as you'd do with any other silicone caulking) and re-seal everything. After the first cut I realised that it's not really going to happen. Not an easy job anyway.

If you'd replace a whole glass panel own one of the doors, would this come with ready-to go seals or would you do it yourself?

I might ask in a bathroom showroom so. Thanks again.

Advertisement