Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabling Query

Options
  • 26-03-2024 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all

Was due to get Sky Q installed today. Engineer arrived to install it this afternoon and the job was going to need additional cabling - our current setup only uses one cable running from the dish, through the attic and down internal wall, and of course Sky Q needs a second cable. Problem is (as I had pretty much expected) the engineer would only run cable outside the house and what he was proposing wasn't a very elegant solution, it would all be very visible along the outside wall and across the front of the house, and so far I've managed to keep all cabling on/through the house very neat and I want to keep it that way.

He did say though that I could get an electrician to run the necessary cables internally if I preferred and then just get Sky to finish the install. So my first question is, does anyone have any sense of what a cabling job like that would cost? It would mean running a new cable from the dish, through the attic, down the internal wall and out at the bottom - but there's the existing cable there to follow for the last part (all of it, actually). And my second question is, could anyone recommend someone to do this job (happy to take DMs on this if that's preferable)? I'm based in North Kildare.

Thanks everyone,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

How was the current cable run? Was it added retrospectively or was it done during a first fix in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭davidm25

Thanks for your query, TheSunIsShining. It was already done when we bought the house so I don't know for sure, but I get the sense it was added retrospectively. The wall in question is a plasterboard wall with a little hole at the bottom that the cables pop out, so I don't get any sense that the wall was chased for the cables (which was the case in our previous house - concrete wall).

D

Advertisement