Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do?

Options
  • 25-03-2024 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

i have a 2019 Peugeot 508sw 2.0 GT semi automatic

it’s an 8 gear mainly driven in auto.

was on the motorway overtaking when I noticed white smoke emitting when I had the foot down. It wasn’t a huge cloud of smoke but it was noticable, similar to driving at the start of a cold morning. I thought it might be the DPF regenerating but all signs were pointing to an adblue / coolant/head gasket issue when I researched.

car sounds and feels fine, levels are 100% adblue has over 2,000 left and there are no faults. I had on occasion one or two emission faults over the last 3 months but they went away.

anyways I kept my eyes on it and after 30 mins of drive it went away.

today then I was keeping an eye on it, when putting the foot down flat I could see some smoke but nothing major.

when on the motorway I decided to change into manual and drive in 6tb or 7th

noticed sludge coming from the exhaust so now I’m conflicted on whether it’s DPF or adblue.

should I continue to give it a bit of a drive and get an adblue cleaner ?

what would you do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭beeker1

When was it last serviced ?? , look at the oil filler cap , if you see "cream" then you're head gasket is gone ! If so , the head needs skimming ! Don't drive it , bar to you're mechanic , the oil is mixing with coolant ! It's generally around 1k of a repair , but a regularly serviced car shouldn't blow sludge , cheap oil without detergents will also result in "sludge" , the oil pickup syphon will block and destroy you're engine ! Even though when you dip it'll show its full of oil ! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Thanks for the response

It was purchased from a garage early November. The sump cap had a leak and had to be replaced in jan so the oil was changed then.

there’s no signs of cream near the oil cap.

I understand where you’re coming from thinking it’s the gasket but I’m not hearing or seeing anything else when driving.

the sludge only started coming out when I was driving it in manual at 6/7th gear

I was thinking it might be the dpf filter as a result?

You won't hear anything from a failed head gasket , I'm not a mechanic just someone whose being through the mill with cars over the years ! While I hope it's nothing catastrophic engine sludge is almost fatal , try a good engine additive to remove sludge , I'd love to hear how you get on , all the best !

I did describe it as sludge, it looks like it in the photos, it’s actually rock hard. Feels like carbon which is making me think it’s a carbon deposit build up in the car. I was hoping if anyone had similar behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭bigroad

It looks a bit like an over injection of adblue.

Does it use much.

• Advertisement

Carbon will block the oil pickup syphon , starve the engine of oil and destroy it , when you dip the oil it'll show its full but since the syphon is blocked it can't push the oil around the engine , a new syphon is around €150 , or if you're mechanic drops the sump can clean it ! It's usually poor grade oil that causes sludge , I learned how to change oil , it's very simple especially with YouTube but buy something like castrol that has addditves/ detergents that remove carbon , you're on thin ice get it sorted ASAP ! Save yourself a lot of money !

It’s looking like that alright. If it’s the injector is it a big job?

I had only filled it once and it’s still saying over 2,400 km before the next refill.

Advertisement