Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming off someones insurance in Northern Ireland.

Options
  • 25-03-2024 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

My poor car (Parked) got into a bit a smash in the North the other day.

I've called the person's insurance company and they have admitted liability BUT they have said the following: "Unfortunately, due to your vehicle being from Republic of Ireland we are not in a position to deal with your claim directly as we don?t have the relevant resources, we would advise you to contact your insurance to make a claim."

Surely this is just a cop-out from them?

Anyone have any similar experience with claiming of someone in the North?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Doesn't sound right to me.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭rossieboy

Yeah, seems like they just don't want to deal with it and are passing the buck. Think I'm gonna try and push back.

Such a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Unfortunately, it's a fairly standard UK practice not to deal directly with a 3rd party outside their jurisdiction. They insist you have your insurer handle the repairs and they will them reimburse them. (Subrogation). With liability admitted, it shouldn't be an issue and is the fastest route.

Obviously, you have the right to claim directly for your loss, as you would here, but you would need to engage a solicitor who has authority to issue proceedings in the UK. Without this authority, the TP's insurer can just ignore any threats of taking the matter further

• Registered Users Posts: 4 country girl 55

The exact same happened to me when I was parked up North. I had to claim through my insurance here who then billed the Northern insurance company. It took time and many phone calls but it eventually got done. My car was still drivable though while waiting for the repair, if it wasn’t I’m not sure what would have happened.

I reported the accident to the PSNI too

Maybe contact your insurance company and tell them what the Northern insurance company are advising and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Either way, as part of your insurance policy, you are supposed to report any incidents to your own insurance company regardless of who's at fault or where it happened. Besides that's what you pay them for, to handle any claims for or against you.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I reported it to my insurance initially as nobody would tell me who the other guy was insured with. I actually had to pay £10 to a UK website to find out who he was insured with in order to contact his insurance directly. I think I'd be still running around in circles only for that website to be honest.

I got his insurance to email me in writing that they are admitting liability but they are asking me to claim of my insurance so I've sent that to my insurance now.

It's really just pain in the you know what. Nice to know that this seems to be the standard procedure though, albeit a dose ha!

UPDATE:

I pushed back on them and they are instructing "Intereurope" to deal with the damages to my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

In this scenario, going through your insurer in the ROI for the claim, is this going to affect your NCB?

Not unless they are unable to recover their outlay

As a footnote, if you want to get the insurance details of an overseas vehicle, the MIBI will provide this service

I spoke with my insurance yesterday to give them an update and they said if I end up claiming through my insurance it will put my no claims back to 0. They never said it was temporary until they recovered their funds and I would incur my excess of €300. So InterEurope better get a move on 😂

• Advertisement

While an insurer is under no obligation to seek recovery of their outlay, they always will in a clear cut situation like your. In addition, they will tag on the excess you will incur and pass it on to you when funds are received

Advertisement