Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Months For This?

Options

Comments

At least he actually got a custodial sentence as opposed to suspended or just a fine etc.

really shows what type of man he really is considering he tried to pin it on his dead friend…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭blackbox

The attack took place on October 14, 2018 when the boy was visiting his grandparents, who lives near Barrett.

How does it take nearly six years to get to sentencing him?

Whether or not you agree with the sentence, the length of time that the justice system takes in Ireland is ridiculous. Time and money.

There we’re supposedly two involved one of which died shortly after.

There’s investigation, submit file to DPP, arrange court date etc it does take time. Plus COVID happened in the middle of it and delayed some more.

He also pleaded not guilty right up until the jury was to be sworn in so he dragged it out himself to some extent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭blackbox

There’s investigation, submit file to DPP, arrange court date etc it does take time. Plus COVID happened in the middle of it and delayed some more.

I accept that Covid may have been an issue, but realistically the first three shouldn't have taken more than a month each.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,365 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

When I saw hit by bottle it made me think of this story.

No custodial sentence at all in that case.

People can behave like animals sometimes.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No custodial sentence at all in that case.

Because they are completely different circumstances:

Jennifer Mayberry, of Tudor Lawns, Foxrock, was arrested a month after the incident, pleaded guilty to assault and received a suspended jail sentence.

She was 21 at the time of the assault and the DPP found there was no malice intended to cause such tragic injuries.

As opposed to:

This is the construction firm boss who has been jailed for hitting a 12-year-old boy with a glass bottle in the face more than 10 times and kicking him in the ribs.

The man who was with him during the attack subsequently died and Barrett later tried to falsely claim it was that other man who carried out the attack on the 12-year-old.

Barrett finally admitted he carried out the attack when he pleaded guilty last October as a jury was due to be sworn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Only 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It seems like a sentence you would get for the same assault on a grown adult, but against a 12yr-old it's an order of magnitude worse. What is wrong with someone who would attack a child like that?

Pfft,

The DPP found there was no malice intended is a pathetic failure on the part of the DPP.

Lets look at the lasting impact of both cases;

The victim in today's case gave the following statement; "Apart from the physical injuries sustained the mostly catastrophic damage was that to my mental wellbeing and this is something I must manage on a daily basis and continue to do so,”.

An unacceptable attack that lead to injuries that healed and left psychological issues for the victim.

Contrast that to a man left in a wheelchair requiring constant care for the remainder of his life from one impact that was the result of an action the DPP in their wisdom felt there was no malice behind, carried out by a woman who lashed out in a rage and left her then partner in a wheelchair for life, ruining his life and that of his family while she walked away to live her life as she pleased.

In your mind that isn't as bad as an assault that the victim recovered from.

The two aren't even comparable in terms of lasting impact.

My intention wasn't to weigh one situation against the other, rather to show how dangerous a bottle can be when used as a weapon.

You chose to argue that a man's life being ruined isn't something that should be considered as a criminal offence because the DPP who routinely make poor decisions felt the perpetrator didn't mean it.

I've seen some contrarianism posted on this site but I think this takes the biscuit.

Glazers Out!

My intention wasn't to weigh one situation against the other, rather to show how dangerous a bottle can be when used as a weapon.

You did though, when you commented that there was no custodial sentence in the example you provided. It’s not contrarianism to point out that they are completely different circumstances. I don’t think anyone is unaware how dangerous a bottle can be when used as a weapon, particularly when it’s followed up with a kick into the ribs of a child by a grown man who then tried to claim it was his friend who died had committed the act.

• Advertisement

In terms of lasting impact the example I provided was demonstrably worse and a custodial sentence really should have been the outcome. Someone lashing out in a rage and destroying a persons life should never be mitigated by the perception of a lack of intent.

Are you seriously suggesting that the impact of a person ending up wheelchair bound for life is less serious than emotional damage suffered by the young man in the OP story?

If you want an off topic discussion you can PM me, but in all honesty, you have form for this type of argumentative waffle, anyone else would have looked at what I posted and thought nothing much of it you had to wade in and take a condescending and contrarian tone as usual.

Glazers Out!

If you want an off topic discussion you can PM me, 

No I’m fine here thanks, this discussion is about the scumbag in the opening post who drove round to beat a child and then tried to avoid prosecution entirely by claiming it was actually his equally scumbag friend who stood by as he beat the child and told the other child to run away or he’d be next. Had he not died, he should’ve been locked up too.

Advertisement