Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunken/Uneven Manhole Backgarden

Options
  • 25-03-2024 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone would have any advice or has someone input regarding this fallen/sunken manhole in our back garden. We live in an estate (30+ years old) and we're at the end of a line of semi-d houses on the corner. In our back garden we've a host of mature hedges/plants and trees and an uneven lawn that we would like to tidy-up a little.

We've some conifer hedging running alongside the boundary wall and right beside it, is this manhole that is not level with the rest of the garden. I assume its drain/sewage access and I've got a drain company coming out over the next few days to have a look inside/down the drain. I guess my question is why the manhole has fallen down like it has. Is this normal enough wear and tear of concrete after 30 years and some garden soil movement overtime? Would the tree roots be playing a role?

Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It could possibly be a sewer serving more than your house - a sewer for the estate - and if it is, it is the council's job to sort it. We had one that the cover had worn very thin, dangerously so, and they came and replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

The photo suggests that the lawn is on a slope and the manhole is level and in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Abril9

You could be correct or I might be at fault for poor camera skills (I'm clueless with a camera), the lawngarden itself everywhere else is flat level with the house from what I can see but the areas (in and around that manhole) are definitely not level with the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

If you get some tent pegs and some string. Pull lines across the area and use a sprit level to set the string level. Then you can see what is level or sloping/sunken

To me the man hole and concrete look proud of the lawn. You could add top soil around the area to level it up.

But hard to tell from photos

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think you can do anything with the manhole, its a unit fitted into the ground and really cannot go un-level unless it is badly broken, which it does not appear to be. I think you would have to build up the soil round it rather than try and alter the manhole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement