Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vandalism.

Options
  • 25-03-2024 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all while I was a work today someone (have a fair idea who) did this to my tyres so I had to miss a meeting . Without going into the personal side of it too much. Can anyone advise what type of valves I need, have a hand pump to pump myself so liking to save a few quid if I can do it myself . Links be great and advice if it’s possible for a novice Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You have to take the tyres off to fit new valves and tyre places will have valves, better going to them than trying to do it yourself.

You need these. If you have tyre pressure monitors you might need to get the valves with the monitor fitted which will be a lot more.

QISF 10Pcs Car Tire Valve Stem TR412 TR414 Tubeless Snap-in Rubber Valve Stems with Dust Caps for Tubeless Rim Holes on Standard Vehicle Tires https://amzn.eu/d/iR8TNMW

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Isotonic1

So he actually cut the valves rather than take a segment of them? Absolute ….. I thought he just took a piece of them .

One more question please. How far if any could I drive like this? 3 km to tyre facility and I’m in a rural area? Prob know the Answer to be honest!!! Or any way of getting that far with remedial action?

No monitors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

You need to call the tyre place out if possible, you drive with a flat like that you could wreck the side walls of the tyres and then you won’t be just replacing valves.

• Advertisement

Sorry I missed that the tyres where flat. As XsApollo said you need to get the tyre repair to call to you. You can't move the car till you get new valves. I'd a puncture which I didn't notice and drove about 10m on a completely flat tyre, pumped it up and when I got to the tyre place they had a good look at the tyre for sidewall damage before they patched it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

The tyre place may call out, leave your car on axle stands (or airbags), and bring the wheels back to their shop and do it. I had similar, and the local guy thought best to do it that way as they didn't have a tyre machine in the van.

Also, report to the Gardai as it's serious criminal damage. They might be able to pull CCTV from somewhere nearby.

100% ring the Gardai OP anyway. That’s disgraceful. I’d recommend get a front and rear dash cam as well. I don’t know if they record when the cars off but if you can get one that does could be useful if ever this happens again.

as advised do not drive it with 4 flat tyres you may ring a local tyre shop and see if they can come out to you and sort it. If they’re after puncturing the tyres as well maybe better off just getting them replaced to be safe but the lads in tyre place will have a better opinion.

Hope you get sorted soon anyway. I had some little bastard deflate my tyre before when I was in work but luckily no puncture or serious damage just some eejit acting the maggot.

Completely rural area!! We hardly have wifi!! Thanks everyone for all the help . Great community. If I was to tell you the gardai know about it already and there was just ambivalence. Ireland and who you know will never ever change . Thanks again lads

None of the tyres seem to be punctured but the valves are all snipped. I know who it is and so do Gardai. An assault occurred recently too so they are well aware. We used to be friends once upon a time. I’ll try tyre shop first things hopefully he isn’t too busy as I need the car again tomorrow . Thanks again all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's a really scummy thing to have happen. I'm sorry we have filth like that living among us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

The gardai may know about it, but you need to report it to make it official.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Call some mobile tyre fitters tonight if you can. Might not come now, but you could get someone to call first thing in the morning.

I would definitely report that. Keep the old valves too.

Not your ornery onager

Quick one guys? Aviva breakdown on my insurance. Any good or they just take it to garage?

Once again thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Worth a call. They will probably trailer it to a garage for you.

Cui bono?

Either option is good. I doubt that they will be able to fix it, but they will be able to get it to a place that can. Make sure you say that you need a flat bed.

Yeah I’d say they would be worth giving a buzz. Just explain the situation and they’ll tell probably send a tow truck and get it to one of their repair shops or even send someone to fix it mobile.

Not sure if it’s the same setup but I’ve often seen AA vans on the roadside fixing punctures and changing tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

100% report it and your suspicions in case the situation escalates or they target others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

definitely report it. lest the person involved does it again, but beside where they live which would tie them to both locations potentially. i guess you should be able to tell the gardai who you suspect did it, but with no solid evidence they won't be able to take it further.

i once reported having to replace all four tyres on my car to the gardai; the day after halloween i drove over thumb tacks and on three tyres there were tacks too close to the sidewall to repair. got a pulse number; two gardai even called to the house as a follow up, but there was obviously nothing they could do - i don't know where it happened. somewhere between dublin 9 and coolquay.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone have made a complaint and gotten a case number. Decent guard but he said without any witness etc there was very little they could do. They said they will call to the individual but it would prob be just that unless he admits it. Thanks once again for all the help!!

Got car towed to garage nearby this am. And there is other damage too the car won’t start either. Something has been done mechanically too. Definitely taking this further now and have contacted my solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Supposing there were witnesses/evidence and the perpetrator was caught by Gardai, I'd be interested to know what the victim can expect in terms of justice/restitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Damien360

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Try and find a mobile tyre fitter and offer them cash to come and refit valves on all 4 wheels. Driving will mean you will need new tyres rather than simply new valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

15 years ago I lost two tyres in a rural area of east Galway; saw a sign on a local (closed) garage and had a van out to me in 20’minutes. Took both wheels off and returned quickly enough that I was only waiting 70 mins total. Being rural doesn’t mean that services aren’t available.

so 3 days later and with the car being in the garage for the last two they still can’t find why it won’t start. Tyres have been changed and fixed etc but it won’t start. An auto electrician checked all the fuses as well today and still no luck. Was just talking to mechanic and tomorrow they will have to check if there is a wire snipped somewhere that is causing the failure to start. They are baffled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did someone break into your car?

Advertisement