Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours and their goats

Options
  • 25-03-2024 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

We are unfortunate enough to live beside the most horrible neighbours. They keep goats who roam freely and as they have completely eaten the hedge separating us from the neighbours they now spend a large chunk of their time in our garden. We constructed a fence, all around our garden, which they tore down. The neighbours advice they are doing their best but occasionally I spot the lady smoking cigarettes in her porch, watching as they eat the hedge. We have called, text, called over to them and even rang the guards to no avail. The guard called over, advised them we have good reason to take civil action and they contained the animals for a couple of months after that but they fell back into the same routine after that. Recently they don't answer their phone, delete msg history on whatsapp and completely ignore us. They would not open their gate to engage with my husband the other day. The animals appear to be starving and the smell from the property is quite bad. I'm concerned about their welfare but much more concerned about my privacy. We have been quoted 6k to build a fence and feel it is only fair they pay at least half. We will now be pursuing a case..I guess I'm just wondering how likely it is it will be successful. I would say they are stretched financially but even to scare them would bring me satisfaction. I'm so fed up with their pure disregard. Can anyone offer advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Go ahead and put up a good strong fence.

Sheep wire and barbed, the contractor will advise.

That should sort things out with the minimum of rancour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Report your welfare concerns to the ISPCA. A visitor from an inspector may well see them surrender the goats and solve the problem for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Your choices are there in front of you I’m afraid:

1. take them to court
    2. report to animal welfare then take them to court
    3. build a fence and ask them to pay half
    4. build a fence and pay for it yourself

it doesn’t sound like they’re too interested in your needs- consult a solicitor to see just how costly and how successful court proceedings would be for you - if the fence fixes the issue then great - but just ensure it’s the correct fence that a, stops the issue and b, is permitted to be used ie appropriate height etc - sounds like the sort of neighbours who could be spiteful back to you given the chance

best of luck

sorry just reread your post - solicitor can advise around success or otherwise and more importantly costs - if they don’t have the funds to pay you may still be here 5 years from now posting about a goat issue - if it were me I’d probably build a damn good fence instead - I’d also put covert cameras around watching the fence, not the neighbours property, just to ensure nothing untoward happens - sounds like the neighbours could deliberately damage the fence out of spite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Are the goats tagged and registered with a herd number? It is the owners responsibility to ensure they have a stock proof fence to ensure their livestock doesn't roam. It might be worth a call to the Dept. of Agriculture, Food and Marine district vetinary officer to ensure everything is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Hi folks. Thanks so much for the input. We have contacted some area of the council, probably environmental - can't remember, a few times. They would see the hedge as a civil matter and haven't had our calls returned with regards the smell, or animal welfare issue.

They absolutely are the kind of neighbours to complain about the height and style of fence (the hypocrisy!!!!)....they stood out and watched when our contractor was there!!!! so he knows the score and was able to give us the heights we are legally entitled to have. My husband put up a fence previously that the goats tore down so it is looking like a concrete slab style fence is the best option. 6.5k!!!!!! So unfair that this is an expense we have to burden when there was a perfectly good hedge there pre goats.

However, Fishonabike, I just contacted the dept of agriculture f&m and spoke to a lovely girl on the phone. I didn't think the ditch issue would be relevant but she seemed to think if the animals are roaming freely they are liable for that. I also addressed the smell and tag issue (never seen a tag on them) so the ball is rolling for a visit from them. She was very helpful but we shall see. I'm deflated after dealing with the council and I don't believe anything until I see it. She was very helpful though. Ex

It may not solve the matter of the expense of the fence but I'm just so annoyed now that I want to frighten them. Some people are actually horrible 😔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There are lads about who are happy to shoot the likes of deer and goats etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I wouldn't be too quick to spend €6,500 on a fence to keep out the neighbours goats. By the sound of it they don't appear to have circumstances suitable for keeping goats. A visit from the regional or district vetinary officer might very well make the goat problem disappear.

Some background information on what they might need to do to keep goats properly.

If they can't comply with the requirements they will not be allowed keep goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭_H80_GHT

Jesus Christ. Stop your nonsense. The adults are talking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Regarding the smell, male goats stink like no other animal I know of, I think it makes them attractive to the goat ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Would get sheep wire and hook it up to an electric fence. See if that works

• Advertisement

Feeling a bit like I'm back at square one again. We got a call from the veterinary officer. Again with 'the hedge being a civil matter'. I asked is it not their responsibility to enclose them and he responded 'well yes, if they're domesticated but goats are hard to contain'. What the hell is wrong with this country and public bodies doing their job!! He said they would mainly deal with diseases in animals etc. In the end I asked if it is their area to ensure animals are tagged and when he confirmed it was I told him he'll have to inspect so as these animals are not......Like pulling bloody teeth...Wish they sent the girl I got in the call centre earlier!!! I'd say we're going to have to follow up with him.. a few times..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Contact the ISPCA, they will be interested in the goats being keep in inappropriate conditions and can confiscate them and prosecute the owners .

The hedge is a non issue for the department, you need to push an unregistered herd and unsuitable housing with them.

Thanks Del2005. They are going to come out, hopefully, and take a look at the fact they are not tagged. I'm a bit confused about the hedge though. I think a roaming animal should be considered a neglected animal but it doesn't seem to be the case. Annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They will be considered neglected. But the department doesn't care about your hedge and neither will the ISPCA if you call them. They only care about the animals and the owners will have to install proper stock proof fencing and housing if they are allowed to keep them.

The damage to your hedge is a different issue and consider civil so no body will intervien in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Plant a hedge that the goats won't eat — blackthorn, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You need to push on animal welfare and tagging/ herd number.

The hedge is a non issue from a welfare point of view.

Contact the ispca.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Havenowt

The next time the goats are in your garden, Push them out your front gates and close afterwards.

Put up fencing inside your side of the property line, 4ft goat/alpaca wire and 1 strands of baired wire on top, this will keep them out.

The goat wire have small squares so they can't get their heads through it, so wont get stuck or eat hedgeing.

How many metres is the property line with your neighbours.

50m roll €225 100m roll €405

200m roll of Barbed wire €55

stakes €7 each spacing 4/5m,

2 straining posts @€50 each

Guys to put up fence maybe €3/4 metre.

Plant a nice new hedge on your side of the fence, watch it grow and forget about the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Just open your gate and let them out on the road any time they enter your property

Advertisement