Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best place to hire car

Options
  • 25-03-2024 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭

So my car is going in for some body work tomorrow. Can anyone tell me the best place to hire a car for a week? I know I could hire from Dublin airport most require a return flight to hire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

You don't need a flight booking to rent a car in the airport - they only ask for a flight number so that they can leave the correct sets of keys out with the carpark attendant if your flight is delayed to the middle of the night, make sure your car is ready on time, and probably to estimate how busy they'll be at certain times of the day.

Does the bodywork place not have a car you can take? I know my local place which I've unfortunately frequented last year had a deal with Enterprise, who would actually drop the car to the bodyshop ready for you to collect. Otherwise, any of the usual names are fine, and make sure to swap over your own insurance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Nope, they have no deals with car hire companies. Why would I need to change my insurance over for a hired car? Don't I get covered by the hire place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I just use a comparison site to find the best deal. Got a car for 3 days from Thrifty in Dublin for €112 with full insurance using Auto Europe when my car was getting some work done. You can select airport or city collection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

You can do it via the hire company, but you'll pay heavily for it.

A short term swap of your own insurance is often free, or a nominal admin fee (to prevent you doing it every week for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Get the cheapest possible and purchase your own car hire excess insurance like this https://www.carhireexcess.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hope u get a decent deal wherever,sorry but my twopence worth is a bit off the track

But a friend has 7 days in Kent organised from next Friday,

Got a newish Mondeo type car hired for the princely sum of 150 pounds for the week.

Obviously I wouldn't get a weekend hire here for that amount. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭user060916

Just search the usual places, I'm checking an picking up a Fiesta for a week tomorrow would be €180 which considering it's Easter Holidays seems very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mac 3

I've had good value with Argus car hire, had a car booked with Hertz through them, had to cancel a trip the day before travel and was refunded fully.

Hertz wouldn't have done that.

Sale on at the moment.

https://www.arguscarhire.com/en/campaign/discounts?clientID=577884&3717989213544434&utm_source=ACH&utm_medium=SFMC_Campaign_Flash&utm_campaign=3717989&utm_term=213544434#/searchcars

That's good

I can get an Astra for 180 tough trifty for 6 days starting from Wednesday to Tuesday.

I may not have to hire a car after all, sister in law says I take her car on the days I need or the brother may be home for easter so I could take his van

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

my sister regularly comes over here from the US. Regularly hires a car and its usually under €200 for the week.

For exact comparison, I can get a quote of €288 from friday to friday, add a 10% coupon discount and its €260. If I was a regular customer, you'd easily get it for close to €200 or even less (I get 35% off van rates as I'm a regular van hire customer)

so not that far off the bargain you think the uk is

• Registered Users Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hertz were the only ones that allowed me to add an additional driver without the additional driver having to be present at pickup.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your own insurance may well not cover you driving a van. Check that your brother's van insurance explicitly covers you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mac167

Toyota Yuko?

Only locally here I know for definite you wouldn't get a new or practically new model sized car for anywhere near that,

Unless the whites have dropped prices radically,

My bro a few months ago has a hire car ( insurance job- crash)

And they fleeced them

Advertisement