Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbish a house that will be rented out - where to start?

Options
  • 25-03-2024 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

My father owns a house in good location in a small town that has been empty for a few years. He isn't keen on selling it and we are now toying with the idea of refurbishing the house before renting it out.

I am aware there are grants available (50k via the vacant homes scheme etc) but before getting that far I'm wondering where is the best place to start?

Should I first be looking to get an engineer to carry out a structural survey or should I get in contact with architect to get their view on what they would do with the house?

My own train of thought is to engage with one of the above to sound out my own ideas and get their ideas/find any defects with the property. Once I have this I would get in contact with a few general contractors to get quotes before applying for any grants.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Maybe Im just cynical from years of renting, but considering there is a massive shortage of rental properties currently, I would just check that it meets the minimum requirements, ensure it has the basics and list it for rent. There are lots of people out there who are really just looking for four walls and a roof.

An engineer will find things you could do to the property and an architect will give you grand designs to give the place an oomph, but it may not be needed.

Advertisement