Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighting circuit - switch to switch feed?

Options
  • 24-03-2024 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

I was trying to add an extractor fan to my bathroom, and was going to hook into the ceiling rose to do this. I found that the 1 gang bathroom light switch that connects to a single light fitting had 3 feeds going into com, and 1 wire coming out of L1.

When I checked in the attic I see these 4 wires going in 4 separate directions, and the L1 wire is the 1 going to my light fitting. The light fitting has no ceiling rose, just the L1 going into it, and 2 other single cables coming out of it.

So what are these 3 wires going into com?

Is this light switch providing a feed to switches in other rooms? I though it would be the ceiling roses that are linked to each other with feeds, not the switches?!

Is chaining the feed from switch to switch safe?

This is a 1990s house.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Likely live loop - one incoming and others to next switch(s) COM

Nothing wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ac1977

OK, good to know , thanks.

What's the best way to hook up the extractor fan here ?

I'm thinking replace the 1 gang with a 2 gang switch, and run another 2 core cable down from the attic.

Get the feed by linking com1 to com2 directly at the switch, and get the neutral from the light fitting in the attic, so that i have my switched live and permanent live for that extractor fan? (Earth and isolator will be done as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

You could do it that way, if you have room in the conduit going to your light switch.

Alternatively you could re organise your cable runs a bit, and have more connections at the light fitting.

Post edited by Delta Lima on

Advertisement