Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plaster board / metal stud frame / insulation vs insulated platerboard

Options
  • 24-03-2024 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been checking various places in order to make the right choice but I am still uncertain as what I should be using - information can sometimes be contradictory.

And I am not 100% sure about my calculations tbh... So, if someone could help, share some experience or direct me to the correct information... that would be great. Thanks!

I have to insulate all external walls in my house - there is nearly no insulation at the moment, just some polystyrene boards stuck to the walls (not even properly done - with gaps between boards and around the windows) and wallpaper just stuck on them. I would love to be able to do the external cladding but my budget doesn't allow for that solution. So I have decided to do the dry lining insulation myself. I have done that in France before with metal stud frames etc... but I noticed here that loads of people choose the insulated boards with dot and dab technique. So, I am trying to compare... here are the questions I am trying to answer:

How do I obtain the best thermal resistance: with an insulated plaster board (for instance kooltherm k16) or by using metal stud frame + insulation slabs (for instance knauff DriTherm Cavity Slab 035)+ plaster board? (should I add a vapor barrier btw...) I read the specs but it doesn't seem to be taking into account bridges due to the studs, or tiny gaps between insulated boards, etc...? maybe I am looking into too many details?...

What are the benefits of using one or the other?

Which one is the most expensive solution? it seems to be the metal frame studs solution

And last question... I am planning to remove the polystyrene but then I wonder... do I really need to if I use the studs?... It is 2 cms thick so doesn't add much insulation and is probably a hazard regarding fire safety. Does that makes sense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, what's the existing wall construction type - solid/concrete/cavity blocks or double-leaf cavity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fufu7219

Hi, from what has been mentioned in the engineering report it is cavity blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Strip the wall back to the blocks.

The build up depends on how much space you are willing to lose to the insulation.

But I would be aiming for at least:

50mm batten walls and 50mm PIR between them, mechanically fixed directly to the wall. 25-50mm PIR staggered joints over this, screwed to battens.

Vapor Barrier/Retarder

Plasterboard over, fixed through PIR into battens, skim/tape joints, paint.

I would also put 32.5mm insulated plasterboard on the ceilings upstairs.

If you are going to DIY the lot, then just tape and fill the joints and use a matt finish paint for the walls. Dont try to skim them and any soft of sheen on the paint will show up any imperfections, matt hides a multitude of sins.

Advertisement