Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury duty and electronic devises

Options
  • 24-03-2024 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I've been called for jury duty in a few weeks. I'm wondering are you allowed laptop and phone while waiting to be called? It is my understanding that for the first week there's hours of hanging around waiting to be called. I would like to be able to do some work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not everybody who is called for jury duty is selected. You could be sent on your way within an hour. That said, you could be selected and straight into the trial. Its a lottery. If you are selected, you'll be on duty, not working. From memory, I don't think laptops are allowed. Phones are but they cannot be used during a trial, for obvious reasons.

Post edited by GBX on

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Bring a book?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I worked on my laptop in the waiting area in 2018. Used phone too.

Dublin conyngham road courthouse.

Never got called for a trial, I was there a week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Also if picked for a jury;

When in court as a jury member and court is siting no- however if your case will be anything like mine was with hours of legal arguement away from the jury, we were stuck in a room on our own for days on end so yes, on that room we could use electronic devices - everyone obviously used their mobile to take calls/ browse do emails but two of us were on laptops for a while too - as long as not in court you’re fine - if theses not much legal argument you’ll have time to kill in the morning before court starts, after lunch - that’s probably about it - but if there’s a load of legal arguments you could be hours sitting in the jury room over a period of days so definately bring something to kill the time

Advertisement