Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on trip to Amalfi coast

Options
  • 24-03-2024 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, I'm looking for advice on a trip to the amalfi coast.

We're flying to Rome and staying for 2 nights to see main attractions.(recommendations on itinerary welcome) We are flying home from naples at 11 am so was going to spend 6thdat/ last night there and go to pompei. (All advice welcome about visiting pompei) then want to head to amalfi coast for 4 days. Where do i stay? We want to fit in capri, positano, amalfi coast line. I'm confused as to where to stay. We'll be using public transport. Id like to get travelling done over 2/3 days and relax for one/ two. I've never been to Italy so I'm looking for advice. Also, is it possible to stay somewhere quite, like small seaside village with public transport to get to all the main attractions. Thanks in advance

Post edited by Halladubha72 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Been there a few times. Sorrento and Positano mostly.

Not sure exactly what level of accommodation you're looking for but we stayed a few times in this little gem of an inn in Positano. The Venus Inn. It's not luxury but it's more than comfortable but what makes it is the host. One of a kind. The setting is amazing plus the breakfasts every morning are a treat.

Won't break the bank either.

If you're looking for 5 star luxury then it's not for you.

We also stayed in Covo Dei Saraceni in Positano which is 5 star luxury but that isn't as wallet friendly :)

I've only day tripped to Amalfi and Ravello. Beautiful places. Just wouldn't have any personal experience of where to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Halladubha72

Thank you very much. No I'm not looking for 5 star so I'll definitely look at your recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

A Sorrento stay is easy for Capri as far as I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Sorrento is the best place to stay as it is nearest to Capri and Pompeii. There is a rail link to Pompeii from Sorrento but buses are required to see the rest of the Amalfi coast from Sorrento. Positano is too expensive for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Include Ravello for accom costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Is it a lot of walking if you are bringing someone with limited mobility. Anyone hire cars etc, or is there any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Public busses, if I recall correctly, are very frequent in high-season.

Actually, have a look at this:

Pompeii, as you probably already know, needs a full day. I think we arrived at 8am and departed by 5pm, but still didn't see all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Myself and my husband did a similar trip for our honeymoon, we flew into Milan and did two or three days in a few spots on the way down towards Naples. We stayed for a week in Salerno (in a lovely little Air b and b), which is a small little town on the Amalfi Coast. It has a train to Naples (about 30 mins) and a direct train to Pompeii and great bus routes. They also do tours to Capri. We got a bus to Amalfi one day and got a ferry back, it was an incredible way to see all the little coastal towns. Salerno is very much an Italian tourist destination and 8 years ago, was definitely cheaper than the other tourist spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Around Naples is notorious for being very difficult to drive in, and more-so than Rome I'm told. They have a "take no prisoners" approach and never obey a red light. Speed limits are lower limits for most and every lane is an overtaking opportunity. Oh... and don't get me started on Neapolitan's and their lack of use of seat-belts - it's a emblem of their independence from Rome! 😁 So no, don't drive.

Walking... It's hilly and all of the best sites are on cliffs so it depends on what your expectations and limitations are - many of the sights are close to bus stops and the Funicolare (hill tram) in Capri is a must-do.

I wouldn't rule it out but you'd need to research it fully. Spectacular destination though, all of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I’d recommend getting the ferries to move around for the most part. Very frequent and faster and less nerve racking than the bus!

If going to Capri be warned that’s it’s very busy. I was there in late September and it was crazy for crowds. We did a blue grotto boat trip, went up that chair lift (a must do). If going again though I’d spend a night there as we were really caught for time making the last ferry back to Sorrento.

We spent a few nights in Ischia, a quieter but beautiful island off Naples.

There’s a cable car at cassammarie that I fully recommend! It takes you to the top of a mountain, where it’s 2km or so high, so it’s lovely and cool on a summer day with nice walks around it.

Definitely spend a day at Pompeii, we did a walking tour for the morning and then pottered around for the rest of the day.

Positano is beautiful. my only advice is have your dinners booked in advance! it’s very hilly so the last thing you want is to be trapsing up and down the hills with a hungry partner and no where to get food! Hotels aren’t cheap there either so get booking ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Positano is a straight no if you've mobility problems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

Pompeii is great but bare in mind that most artefacts are in the museums in Naples. Herculaneum is also recommended.

There is a great little train service that runs between Pompeii and Sorrento.

Amalfi coast by minibus tour is ideal, its not a road you want to drive on yourself and it saves the trouble of finding parking

We stayed in a fantastic hotel outside Sorrento called Hotel Delfino which I highly recommend. They provide a free minibus service into Sorrento (but it looks like its closed for refurbishment sadly)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Plaza hotel in Sorrento is spot on. We did a train trip to Pompeii. And a boat trip to Positano.

Visit the official website of Hotel Plaza Sorrento and book a stay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Planning a massive itinerary in a short time! Definitely will rely on Bus travel around the Amalfi coast itself, I'd rather try and drive through a hot Volcano than hire a car to drive around the Amalfi coastal roads...

If I was doing this trip i'd go Rome, train to Naples and on to Salerno, a hotel stay there will be MUCH cheaper than anywhere on the Amalfi coast, you can then take day trips out on the ferry's to Amalfi/Positano... The train is an hour from Salerno to Pompei ... and an hour from Naples central station..

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

You lucky duck, OP. Sorrento is the place to stay, and do a day boat trip up the Amalfi coast, which will take in Positano. Pompeii is not recommended for somebody bad on their feet. Enjoy every minute of it. It's glorious.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Pompei AND Herculaneum (two separate days, if that's your thing)

Early public bus from Sorrento to Positano. Get to the terminus early, and grab a window seat on the Right side. Unless you travel through mountains with a bag over your head. Left side on the return leg.

Day trip to Capri, and do lots of walking. Regret not having the lolly to spend a few nights.

Roman era baths 2km west of Sorrento

We visited Mount Vesuvis too, very cool. Private tour bus from the Sorrento hotel.

Advertisement