Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Type of Consular Assistance Available

Options
  • 23-03-2024 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me to understand what type of assistance can be expected from Irish Embassy abroad. I have a family member extremely unwell in hospital in New Zealand. They are on their own and their mam needs to travel out to be there for them. Is there supports in terms of accommodation, finances etc? It could be a few weeks potentially months unfortunately. Appreciate any help and advice, it's not a situation we ever imagined being in so very much unsure about what might be available. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Consulate don't provide funding or accommodation at all for the support of family members travelling to support sick or injured people.

An overview of what Consular assistance means can be found here

And Irish Consulate specific info can be found https://www.ireland.ie/en/dfa/overseas-travel/assistance-abroad/how-we-can-help-you/

I wish your family member a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Send an email to the Embassy with your questions is the best bet I'd say. I doubt they will provide financial assistance in a non emergency situation, but you won't know if you don't ask. They may be able to help in other ways by putting you in touch with Irish Associations in NZ etc.

A Go Fund Me might be something to think about.

Contact Embassy of Ireland, New Zealand | Embassy of Ireland New Zealand | Ireland.ie | Ireland - this is Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I was in a similar situation a few years ago and found the consular assistance to be absolutely worse than **** useless.

Don't go expecting much from them and even then prepare to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just thinking, I wonder if your relative has travel insurance, it may provide cover for a family member to join them. I don't know, just throwing it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Contact a local Irish Society over there (Google them), someone may be able to help her find cheap accommodation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement