Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partner contribution towards mortgage liable for tax?

Options
  • 22-03-2024 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Quick question for anyone who might know offhand. I can't find this info online for a girlfriend/boyfriend relationship as opposed to wife/husband. 

I have a mortgage and my fiancé who lives with me contributes towards that. 

I'll round things up but if my mortgage is €1500 per month and he transfers €500 to my account towards it via direct debit monthly, is there tax implications for that? For transferring €6000 to my account per year?

thanks for any advice here.

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You could treat him as a lodger and the contribution would be tax free I suppose!

However, you say he is contributing towards the mortgage. Do you mean that he has an interest in the property, as in a share and is named on the mortgage/deeds? Is the property jointly held?

The reason I mention this is because if the money is treated as being a part mortgage payment, in the event of a break up (prior to your marriage as I see you call him your Fiance), he may have a claim on part of your house for the contributions made.

If treated as a lodger, he doesn't, although it would be hard to prove he is a lodger if he's your future husband, however I doubt anyone is going to check. Just return it on your tax return online as Rent a Room. Get some legal advice anyway would be my route and draw up an agreement if you want to ensure that your property remains yours fully up to the date of your marriage.

Alternatively you could draw up an agreement that the money he pays is towards monthly bills, and that includes everything paid from the household apart from the mortgage. That is not taxable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

If he is making contributions to the payment of a mortgage, it is almost certain that he has a beneficial interest in the home.

I
    The fact that he isn’t named on the title doesn't really matter.
    I wouldn’t be worried about any tax liability, there isn’t one.

You wouldn’t want to fall out with him, he could make claim to part of the house.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Strictly speaking that would be rent and liable for income tax, no?

Of course, I'm no expert and you should seek advice from a qualified accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Abbey59

Thanks. That's what I'm not sure about. I'm not sure what legal status we have as a cohabiting couple with a child in comparison to a married couple

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Abbey59

thanks for that. No he's not named on the mortgage. It's in my name only. And we do plan to marry. The lodger route does make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Rent a room scheme is your friend here

Advertisement