Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duty of Care and The Tackle

Options
  • 22-03-2024 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

Does the GAA need to introduce a duty of care type rule when it comes to the shoulder and possibility of contact with the head/neck. Concussion is happening more and more. With players getting bigger and bigger and stronger and stronger, where will all these big hits lead eventually?

In the video below, Shane O'Donnell talks about not being able to read a book, look at his phone/tv, or talk to his parents for any length of time after a concussion. This went on for 5 weeks. He had to sit doing nothing for 12 hours a day.

“I used to sit down for 12 hours… Even talking to my parents was diffi... | Shane | TikTok

Full video here - the concussion stuff is frightening and almost finished his career:

Inner Drive │ Episode 1 │ Shane O'Donnell (youtube.com)

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Maybe its just me but this seems to be more prevalent in hurling than football? Would it be with lads wearing helmets that they think the opponent has protection. For me anyway its covered under two rules: to behave in a way that's dangerous to an opponent and then to inflict an injury recklessly on an opponent by means other than stated above.

I'm not disagreeing with your premise by the way, a lad should be able to come off the field and be relatively healthy and these type of hits should be stopped.

Advertisement