Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further education qualifications to SEN teaching

Options
  • 21-03-2024 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi looking for guidance and or opinions

so I’m a qualified further education teacher teaching in youth reach s as although my job description is resource worker

im a practical subject teacher I’ve many year’s experience working with young people with many different learning abilities or disability and also with many different health issues

I’m TC registered under route 3

so I’ve seen a secondary school advertisement for a 22 hr SEN teacher and I’m interested in applying

so my question is would anyone here know or think because of my TC route would I have a good opportunity in getting this job

please I would love to know your thoughts or recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

I'm not sure if Route 3 is recognized for teaching in secondary school- you would need to contact the teaching council for an accurate answer. Depending on where you are based and the need for teachers in that area, there is always the possibility of being called and succeeding at an interview, but your contract and rate of pay could be that of an unqualified teacher. A lot of SEN teachers have a secondary teaching qualification and a SEN teaching qualification.

If you are working in Youthreach and have an interest in SEN, look into department-funded postgraduate diplomas in special education. I understand teachers in youthreach are prioritized due to the learning needs of students https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/287980/c7a854f7-bfe8-45f4-acaf-15115b9bfbae.pdf#page=null.

However, even with the above qualification, you may need a secondary qualification.

Look into the possibility as well with the teaching council of being recognised to teach in special schools.

I would seriously advise you to look into the postgrad in SEN while working in Youthreach. If you decide to leave then, it's an attractive qualification to have when looking for other jobs in that area. If you leave and want to do it later- it can be difficult to get into, or very expensive in other colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭R11

I'm thinking of applying for the post grad in SEN in DCU? Anyone here do it? What's the workload like? I imagine it's pretty tough going while trying to juggle teaching also...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fogfurn

Hi thankyou yes I kind of knew that

so basically I’m in my fifties and kind of feel let down by the system of not been recognised for teaching and that is very important to me. If I knew about that SEN PG I would have done it instead of the further education PME

its not to late but I just want to be recognised for what I do. I know I have a job and many people wouldn’t care if their recognised but it’s important to me

ive been accepted into a PG educational leadership and management in MU but now I think I might change it to SEN qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭CraftySue

I worked as a resource worker in youthreach for years, so I understand where you are coming from. I was qualified secondary, but completed the SEN before I left, and it helped. Get in contact with the teaching council to see where you stand/ what you need to do. Also look into other areas like occupational therapy and speech and language postgrads, they might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fogfurn

Oh thanks very much I’ve sent email to TC waiting for reply. Impossible to get on phone today. I’m going to apply for the SEN program to and definitely look into occupational therapy

thanks so much

• Advertisement
Advertisement