Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining 2 cables - 1 of the cables has extra earth wire

Options
  • 21-03-2024 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭

I had to replace a motorised valve because my old SunVic one seized up. Replaced it with an EPH V221P.

New EPH is fitted to the pipes fine now but I need to wire it in. The connector box is a right mess and fiddly as tonnes of wires are in there so I thought instead maybe I can just use the wire from the SunVic and wire it to the EPH. The connector box has multiple valves etc connected to it and looks like plenty of earths connected to it from other devices.

The SunVic has 4 wires (brown blue, grey and orange) as does the EPH but the EPH also has an additional wire (green/yellow earth). Can I just join up the matching colours and if so, what do I do with the earth wire of the EPH exactly? Can I just put a cap on it (I have these things https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CQYKNX3F/ ). SunVic 2 Port wiring diagram is here https://www.uk-plumbing.com/wp-content/uploads/HPHSdata-1.pdf if that helps!?

Post edited by MuddyDog on

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I'm not sure if those connectors are rated for the voltage they'll be handling.

None of your diagrams show an earth wire on your new valve.

If it were me, I'd check that each coloured wire is connected as they normally shouldğ, before connecting colour to colour. It'll only take a few minutes and might save your new valve.

Also note that you'll have a "permanent" live on one of those wires, so be careful to prove proper isolation.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Use wagos anyhow for jointing

I think u need the lever wagos for fine-stranded cabling

Advertisement