Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nordic Cruises for Family with Kids

Options
  • 21-03-2024 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Family with kids 10, 13 and 15 so too expensive to see Scandi via flights, hotels, etc so was thinking of trying to do a cruise in the summer this year or next year. I know it will be expensive and was wondering if anyone has been on one before with their kids and how did it go, any tips, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Can I ask why is it so expensive ? are you looking at all in packages ? cos agencies will screw you …

I went to the north of Norway 2 years ago with the family, was very reasonable as I booked everything myself.

I did it around November/early December for the following July.

Norway is expensive if you eat out - but air bnb and booking had some great deals - in fact it was cheaper then our 2023 trip to Cork/Kerry - accomodation wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

Quotes from travel agencies are very high plus you only get limited time to spend off the boat.

As a result I am trying to see what route would be best to take & do it myself & as you mention stay in Airbnbs which we always do as a family of 5 does not work with hotels.

I was thinking of flying Dublin - Bergen, there is a scenic train from Bergen to Oslo and from there to Copenhagen, we would be looking at staying for about 12 days.

If you have any tips on places you went to that are worth seeing, then I am all ears as I have never been to Scandinavia before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Hi,

Sorry I've never been to southern Norway only the North.

but my general advice will be to book everything well in advance and you'll get good deals, also there are decent cheap ("cheap") supermarkets there where you get good prices for food - even beer - I used to get cans of the local FATØL beer there for about €4.

But yeah if you go out to eat it's super expensive .. we only did maybe twice in 2 weeks.

Norway has a bad rep on price but if you book early enough can be cheaper than Ireland…

Advertisement