Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing oil tank

Options
  • 20-03-2024 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 20+ year oil tank that needs replacing. Where the valve attaches to the tank is rusted and weeping, and the delivery guys have warned us it's not long for the world.

Here is the setup, I'd say it's maybe 1 meter off the ground sitting atop some posts made from cinderblocks:

Probably 15 metres from the house.

I've had a concrete pad poured 10 metres to the left of this installation for a new tank. I'm planning on running the copper line from a new, smaller tank to the existing line, splicing it into the existing feed line to the house and then on to the boiler. The boiler, a Firebird, is also 20+ years old and needs replacing.

The new pad is a few inches thick and sits on the ground. Will there be sufficient height for the new tank that ensures enough flow of the kerosene to the heater? The plumber's recommended a "TigerLoop" which, based on my reading, will help eliminate air infiltration and catches debris not caught by the filter at the tank, but my concern isn't that as much as, "How much height do I need?"

I'm not going to hold on to the old boiler any longer than is necessary. If the feed pipe height is too low to work well, and if replacing the boiler with a new one like a Grant condensing boiler will solve the problem, I can do that, too.

I'd like the existing system to work with the new tank for a few months until the weather warms enough to be without heat for however long it takes to get the new boiler and vent pipes (there are issues with the vent pipe installation, too.) But, if I must I'll get everything replaced at once.

I get the Firebird checked and maintained each year, most recently in November. I think it's working about as well as you can expect from a 20 year old unit. It's had some repairs in the last couple of years, new zone valves, new pressure tank and other things.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If possible, put in a complete new line, no joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That's the plan - for when we put in the new boiler. Do you think this will work in the meanwhile? Really just want to limp the whole thing along for a month or two until we certain we don't need any heat. There'll be at least one new joint where the new pipe joins the old.

Here is a better picture of the setup (note that this is from 2015, that horrible old shed is gone and the yard's a lot cleaner, but the tank stanchion is as is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Should be fine temporaryfix.

Advertisement