Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Mountains/Sally Gap route

Options
  • 20-03-2024 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi folks,

With the weather getting better and the days longer, I'm hoping someone can share their go to routes for Wicklow Mountains/Sally Gap area?

Living in Drumcondra so will be coming from that city of the city and want something 80k-100k region.

Don't really know the roads up that way so said it'd be best to check here to make sure any route I pick is safe etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A direct out and back from Ballyoboden to Laragh on the military road is approximately 77k, would be another 20k in/out from drumcondra to there I believe? Without going as far as Laragh, you could easily make up the ks going up and down either side of glencullen valley, over sally gap and back into town via the army camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Macho Man

This is a route I would have regularly used, its a great route, very scenic. I'm not sure which route you'll use to get out from Dumcondra so I'll start it at Rathfarnham. If you have a car you could park in Marlay Park and save you having to navigate the city.

From Ballyboden you could ascend using the R115 which passes the Hellfire club but its a much much busier road. I prefer the R116 which is always far less traffic so much safer and has some great climbs. So the link is Ballyboden, past The Merry Ploughboy pub then on up to the Cruagh viewpoint then through the Featherbeds and on to Sally's Gap. From Sally's Gap I'd often take a right and head down to Manor Kilbride then join the N81 at Brittas and back towards Dublin.

https://www.theaa.com/route-planner/route?from=Rathfarnham,%20Dublin,%20Ireland&to=Sally%20Gap,%20County%20Wicklow,%20Ireland&via=Rockbrook%20Park%20School,%20Edmondstown%20Road,%20Rathfarnham,%20Dublin%2016,%20Ireland%7CCruagh,%20County%20Dublin,%20Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Like the OP I'm in Drumcondra/Glasnevin and normally head to Rathfarnham via Church Street and Terenure. From there the choice is either Stocking Lane or Cruagh Road and there have been plenty of threads here comparing both. Straight on to Laragh and back via the Old Long Hill and Dundrum is one option and a more challenging one is right at Laragh, over the Wicklow Gap, round the Lake Drive and back via Tallagh and Terenure. There are plenty of variations of these routes plus lots more if you turn off the Military Road at Sally Gap. Enjoy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Im also from same neck of woods..and tend to go up either cruagh or stocking. I'd say up cruagh, an immediate left as you get near zipit and head to Glen Cullen, glencullen to enniskerry, old long hill. Onto round woodwood.

Chances to fuel up in enniskerry and round wood. Up to sallygap, take a right and on towards viewing point and back down stocking lane , home through rathfarnham.

No refuelling after roundwood unless you stop in glencree.

Alternativly head towards dundrum and make your way to glencree via glencullen or enniskerry then fo over featherbeds from there and descend to roundwood and do old long hill /lovers leap the other way.

Advertisement