Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can l improve speed on mesh system?

Options
  • 20-03-2024 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, hope l'm not posting in the wrong place, but im very confused and hoping someone may be able to advise me. Got fibre to the home installed yesterday. They put the socket in the attic. Told me theres no downside to putting it there. So, l went with sky 500mbps . Brought modem up to attic, all connected fine. However, come down into the house ( long bungalow) and tv is still buffering. Bought tp link m5 mesh systems but see little improvement. First mesh "pod" is connected via short ethernet cable to modem in attic. 2nd in kitchen end of house, third in bedroom opposite end. Would i be better to buy long ethernet cables and keep all the mesh systems in attic, but have them connected to modem by cables long enough to keep them at either end of house but all up in attic? Dont know why he connected it up in the attic, he said it wouldnt be a problem but it already is! Just trying to ensure both ends of house gets decent speed. Currently the best speed is up in the attic where its no good to anyone! Thanks for any advice, i know nothing about this kind of thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

If its a bungalow, should be easy enough to link them via a cat 6 cable and much better speeds then at each pod or unit

• Registered Users Posts: 24 imme62

Thanks for that BobMc. Ill buy a couple of those cables. If i connect both mesh units to the modem using the cat 6 cables, and bring them to either end of house but still in the attic, do u reckon the wifi speed should be good enough to reach the rooms underneath? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I have an attic conversion and have trouble getting a signal into it. I assume it's the steel and the foil backed insulating boards blocking the signal?

Could this be the issue you are having in reverse perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If foil backed insulation boards are the issue, could you run the cable down any existing wall ducts and put the mesh extenders in the room instead?

I have a bungalow too but just standard rockwool insulation so I've no issues with signal anywhere. I have 500mbps and wired Unifi access points in the roofspace. I also run cat-6 cables down inside various wall ducts so that the TV, Sky boxes, XBoxes etc are all hardwired. The wifi then covers phones and most of the smart devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

This is what I noticed in my house. Assuming there is foil back boards on ceilings, maybe running the cables though the ceiling into the living space to site the mesh boxes maythe fix.

• Advertisement
Advertisement