Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size digger?

Options
  • 20-03-2024 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭

So, I have a mature bed to clear in the garden, about 30sqm, that used to have various big bushes (around 3m tall) in it.

I need to remove about 50cm of soil from this area, to replace it with aggregate reinforced with geosynthetic mesh of some sort.

The area is on about a 10% slope, so I don't need to dig down as such, I can just approach it from the downslope side which is grassed and flat.

The soil is very rooty and there's absolutely no way I'm doing it by hand, I've done similar before and it almost broke me.

The soil and roots will need to be moved around 30m and ideally through a fairly narrow opening, but if necessary I can do that last bit my hand.

So I need to move about 15m3 of very rooty soil, and then possibly use the digger to move the same volume of coarse aggregate (maybe 2 inch clean) about 50m from my driveway to this area.

What sized digger? Will one of those little diggers that does through side gates do it?

I have never used a digger before. Enlighten me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Daniel son

Yes. You can also get a motorized dumper that will fit down the side of a house aswell.

Advertisement