Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing existing attic conversion fiberglass with Spray foam insulation

Options
  • 20-03-2024 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Our semi detached house has a 30 year old attic conversion with plenty of air drafts. I was thinking of stripping out the plaster board and old fiberglass insulation on the roof all the way to the eaves.

Then getting cosy insulation in to spray foam the roof. We would then get the plasterboard put back and replaster by a qualified plasterer and we could paint ourselves

Anyone any experiences with Spray foam insulation in an attic conversion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Have tested many for air tightness and only remember one which I would consider reasonably airtight.

Ask the sprayfoam company to guarantee a meaningful air tightness improvement, and see what they say.

Ime, there are far better and more cost effective ways of dealing with this issue in attic conversions and which don't risk the integrity of your roof structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Damien_d12

Thanks for the tips

I'd be concerned about moisture getting into the rafters if the Spray foam insulation is not applied correctly.

I still do think I don't need to rip out the entire attic conversion which is what some builders are suggesting -in fact my office is in the attic so I'm happy with it apart from the air drafts

What are the better and cost effective solutions you would recommend?

Post edited by Damien_d12 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Have the house tested for air tightness and be present for the test so you understand what the issues are and how to tackle the 2 to 3 issues which are found.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Tow

In the UK some banks have stopped giving mortgages to houses which have their roofs stray foamed.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/spray-foam-insulation-and-mortgages/

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yup, was about to say, it can block the flow of air to the woodwork if not done correctly leading to rot etc

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,996 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

your attic is supposed to be drafty.

you need to work on the lack of air tightness on your upper most ceiling, to prevent these drafts from taking heat from your home.

Advertisement