Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying in North V South of Ireland

Options
  • 20-03-2024 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm about to move back to Ireland from abroad and will need to buy a car. Never been a fan of buying brand new due to depreciation so will be looking at something around 3-5 years old. Just wondering if it is still worth it to buy in the North of Ireland. It used to be cheaper and also cars seemed to be a higher spec but obviously with Brexit happening since I've left I'm just wondering has the process changed and if it's still cheaper to buy there. Any information/advice on this is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭goochy

very limited supply up north and alot of cars are mainland uk so vat applies , if you dont mind automatics and petrols jap imports are all the rage again down south - jap brands and european

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bullet93

When you say VAT applies, do you mean the VRT charges for bringing it over? Or has VAT been added on to the VRT chargers since I last took a car across in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭User1998

Have a read of the Importing from UK thread. It has been discussed at length there

as uk out of EU - vat applies as well as vrt if car is newly imported from mainland UK into NI - only if car going down south obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 33,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's slightly complicated too by the fact that sometimes it's vat free if the car has always been an NI car and not one originally in mainland UK and sold into NI.

As for the general question, I find there isn't much savings to be made by buying a car north of the border these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭billgibney

Wait until 1st of May, new rules come into play then.

Once the car was mostly used up north then VAT doesn't apply.

So most used cars will be vrt and nox only.

Didn't realize there was a difference between the UK and Northern Ireland. Bad enough we've to pay extortionate VRT prices but paying VAT on top of that is crazy. The government always finds a way to squeeze more money out of you, unfortunately.

you are moving back to ireland and you are already giving out about the government , why dont you move to uk or NI ?

We are a small country so things are more expensive 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VAT is down to Brexit and the UK leaving the EU.

I have family in Ireland that I want to be closer to and that is what brings me back. I don't agree with your statement about Ireland being small so things are more expensive. From a quick Google search, Ireland is the second richest country in the EU per capita! Anyway I'm only looking on information/advice for buying a car, not a political match!

Yeah fair enough. I haven't lived in Ireland since Brexit so not used to the change is all. I understand it's not the Irish government's fault that the UK left the European Union.

• Advertisement

Just don't be returning home with a negative attitude. When you are back a few years you might find faults but important to be positive 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭billgibney

The north is still in the EU customs union while the rest is out.

Advertisement