Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 8 v the road.......and the road won!!........trying to get data from it??

Options
  • 20-03-2024 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭

Hello fellow Boardsies,

Am not big into the old phone technology, evidenced by fact my current phone is an Iphone 8!

This evening I left it on top of the car roof, as I had to go back into the house to get something.........you can see where this is going?😲

I pulled out onto the road and said Iphone flew out over the bonnet when I hit the brakes!😮. Basically one side of the screen is all cracked from top to bottom, there are multicoloured vertical lines going down one half of the screen and on the other half,which escaped any damage you can just about make out the numbers on home screen which you press to unlock the phone, if you press one of the numbers on this side of the home screen, the other numbers above and below it light up too.

So obviously I won't be able to unlock the phone. I had being planning on upgrading this Iphone sooner rather than later, probably to an Iphone 14 or 15.

I'm with Vodafone for a good few years so will probably hopefully get a decent deal with them on an upgrade, as I am due an upgrade. As i said earlier I'm not too knowledgeable on phones so have a few quick questions it would be great if anyone could answer,

1. Given the screen is cracked and not working properly will I be able to access all the phone contacts, and photos (few thousand of them) etc by bringing it into Vodafone store, buying a new Iphone 14/15 with 24 month contract etc and inserting my current Sim into the new phone?.........hopefully that's the case!🤞
    2. Or will I need to replace the damaged screen on the Iphone 8 and then download the photos etc from the phone?
    3. I would also have historical voice recordings etc that are needed on the current phone for work. Would the likes of voice recordings be saved on my current Sim (in the Iphone 8 since I bought it new 4+ years ago).......or are they saved to the actual phone iykwim?

I would be very grateful if anyone could answer my few questions, I hope they make sense😉

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Go in and haggle with the local repair store, maybe even offer to sell it back to them once you get the data off. You more than likely need to replace that screen, it's not hard to do yourself and parts are cheap if you really want to save.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks for prompt reply.

So do I need to get access to the damaged Iphone 8 to be able to get contacts/photos/voice recordings etc off it??

Is this because they are saved to the phone rather than the Sim card, which has being in the phone since it was bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's probably nothing on your Sim card maybe a number or two nothing more, if you were backing it up to iCloud you can restore that to your new phone and don't need to repair the old one. Log into iCloud and see what's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭thereiver

I'm not an iphone expert , but sim cards normally only hold phone nos ,contacts recent nos called or received , If you choose to save them there ,can you log into your icloud account .

Sound recordings phone call data would be saved on the phone but may also be backed up to your icloud account

You should hold onto the phone until you are sure you have access to your data phone contacts audio recordings

If I was selling my phone I'd do a full reset eg erase all data phone nos email login passwords pin nos credit card pin nos data bank pin no,s

after backing up contacts to a sim card and backing up data to an SD card or online account

It would not cost much to get a new screen installed

Your personal data pin nos email passwords could be accessed by other person's if you just sell It to a random shop

https://www.wikihow.com/Sign-Into-iCloud

If you set up 2 factor authentication on your icloud account you may need the verification code sent to your phone when you first setup your icloud account

You can access icloud from a browser if you have your password pin no etc

I just used a browser on an iphone for a few minutes

I have never used an icloud account

It's possible all your contacts phone nos and sound recordings have been backed up to your icloud you should be able to restore the icloud data to a new phone if you' input your password remember you may need the icloud verification code if 2 factor security is setup on your icloud account

• Advertisement

You have to log into icloud to see what photos are there,

Are all your phone contacts there, ?your sound recordings ,did you back up your phone to icloud recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks, I reckon I have all backed up to the icloud..........but am hitting a wall trying to access my icloud Account to check as I have 2 factor authentification and thus when I click on it on my laptop it sends an authentification code to my own Iphone,which you then input to the laptop .....but I can't see the code as screen is broken😪!

A pal in work with an Iphone thought we might be able to send the authentification code to his Iphone (so we could see it).......but it wouldn't work as he has his own unique icloud account as well iykwim.

So I reckon I will be going to town this evening,into one of the phone repair shops and getting a new screen on the damaged Iphone 8 so that I can read the needed icloud authentification code on it iykwim.All going well that will tide me over till the weekend when I will go into Vodafone to see the best Deal they can do for me on an Iphone 14/15.

As a matter of interest how much roughly should a new screen cost for an Iphone 8?.......... and shouldn't they be able to replace it there and then.

There's a crack down back cover of the Iphone 8 as well. But it's hardly worthwhile putting a back on it as well,seeing as I'm going to upgrade from it soon.How much would the back cover of an Iphone 8 be roughly?

Many thanks for any replies☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

Screen replacement costs about €35 in local phone shop in Wicklow.

Maybe buy an old phone 8 on adverts.ie. A non working phone take off the back , Google iphone repair Dublin I looked at websites

Screen repair iphone 8 cost 70 to 80 euro email shop before you travel to ask have you got replacement screen for iphone 8 in stock

Right now Dublin. For sale iphone 8 adverts ie locked to vodaphone network price 85 euro

You might get it for 80 euro maybe

Search iphone ,8 adverts.ie for sale Dublin

Under 100 euro

It would be cheaper and faster to buy an old iphone 8 vodaphone network compatible put sim card in download your data from icloud

Hold onto old phone just in case you need some data that's not in your icloud account

• Advertisement

I'm presuming if you get another iphone 8 you can log into your icloud account and recieve the verification code to unlock icloud acess

hold onto the old phone at least until you have retrieved all your data I'm not an apple software expert

Advertisement