Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smallest WC?

Options
  • 19-03-2024 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I've no downstairs toilet and just the one upstairs, hoping I can try fit one in the hall. Unfortunately under the stairs won't work, there isn't the height.

My idea is to hopefully squeeze one in at the bottom of the stairs but I've no idea if I have the room. Ideally I'd like to avoid turning the stairs but if that's the only option then I suppose I'll have to. What would be the smallest WC I could get away with?

I've a small void under the floor so plumbing hopefully won't be an issue, waste is accessible on the external wall. Door would have to open into the hall and it would be back to back with the front door

Any comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭standardg60

The only way i would see would be to fill in the porch, ie, moving the front door to where the porch door currently is and putting the WC to the right of it and extending back into the current hall. The door to the WC could feasibly open back towards the stairs then. You would need a minimum of 1 metre between the door and the stairs with a 600mm door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Yeah, that's something I was hoping to avoid. It'll be big money to change the porch and we'd need a new front door

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Madd002

These are a great job for space saving sink on top of cistern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

My second W.C. is very small, about 1250 wide by 1000 deep. I managed to put in 'corner' units. Worked out quite well. Did it all myself!.

Wow, that's impressive! I'm thinking we'll have to turn the stairs or lose the porch. I don't know which will cost more, I think I need someone in who knows what they're doing :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

My reading of the regs re landing size at base of a stairs is that a door may swing into a landing reducing the area clear of the door swing to 400mm min. I don't think it follows that you can simply reduce a landing to an overall size of 400mm. That would be a very uncomfortable setup so realistically bathroom won't fit.

I don't like stair winders but I'd be inclined to do that in this case. So side exit off stairs and loads of room for toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Going out into the porch area will give the benefit of adding in a window to the front/side for ventilation. Also if you do it right you might be able to find an off the shelf front door as you have some choice of the width.

Yeah, the more I look the more I think the porch needs to go. Good point on the door and ventilation! The house has external insulation so I'm not sure how difficult adding a window will be :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Post a picture of the outside, if you are digging for foundations you might as well dig for the sewer pipe too. To be honest I would definitely do it.

Will try get some pics when the rain let's up, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

why can’t it go under the stairs? Might be easier to move internal door and walls back so it fits

The angle of the stairs goes into the kitchen which is pretty small as it is, don't really want to take more of it. But I'll put it on the list of options.

1. Remove the porch
    2. Turn the stairs, keep the porch
    3. Move the kitchen wall

The plan in a few years is to drop the wall between the kitchen/dining to open it up but it's load bearing wall so another huge cost and we're due twins in September so the budget is tight 😂

Advertisement