Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel car under 6k

Options
  • 19-03-2024 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all,just looking for advice for a reliable diesel car ,family of 5,no more than 6 grand.Was looking at a ford c max 2014 1.6 diesel then read some bad reviews about reliability with that particular engine which put me off.

Have looked at Skoda superb or Mondeos ,Mazda 6, Peugeot 508, Renault Laguna's,it s just a minefield,depends on the engines size,year the car was made,just so confusing..

I know there is no guarantee,just nervous about buying a dud,any advice would be appreciated, wouldn't know a lot about cars on general.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Renault Fluence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭goochy

Yes heard good things about fluence . Local taxi woman has one for last few years. Same engine in mercs ??

For low mileage over age

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

Not Mazda 6, any of the others will depend on how they were maintained. A well maintained high mileage car is better than a low mileage badly maintained example.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

Thank you,never thought of them,will do a bit of research on them so.

• Advertisement

I agree with that,don't mind high mileage as long as the car has been looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭[Steve]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭User1998

Toyota Corolla / Toyota Auris

You can just about get the new shape models in your budget. Older shape are grand cars too tho and much cheaper.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/36504774

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/36394944

That looks nice,is a 2L Mondeo better than the 1.6 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Octavia 2 Elegance, defo within range, nice car to drive. Very roomy, sat nav, parking pilot, climate control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Fluence, corolla, auris etc. surely all too small for a family of five.

Every single diesel yoke in this era/price range is chancey. Plenty of mutton dressed as lamb for sale at strong money these days.

If ya can try and find a genuine car that hasn't been passed from pillar to post and has a rep of being reasonably reliable.

Avensis, 2.0 Mondeo, 2.0 superb all worth a look very hard find good genuine ones though.

This could be nice. Poor ad but

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/citroen/36491128.

2.0hdi C5 same owner since 2014 and ya can see it's replacement in the background. Original Irish car, Low enough mileage and low owners. Plenty of room for a strong haggle too as it's very short on test.

Above all avoid Mazda and Subaru.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bigroad

Toyota corolla verso 2.0 d4d.

Honda civic 2.2 diesel.

Mondeo 2.0 tdci and peugeot 508 2.0 hdi ,these two have the same engine.

As said above secondhand diesels are risky so you need to have a good look at them and their history if any.

Thanks for all the advice/info,at least I have a list to work off now,it's hard work looking,all I need is a bit of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's a few Mercedes E class diesel 2010+ on done deal with only 200klm on them. It'd be a roomy family car and they're reliable. If you found one with a good history and NCT until next year it'd be a lot of car for 6k.

No idea what this one's like but just for example https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e-class-2010/36397960

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bigroad

If looking at any of the mercs 2.2cdi engine has the timing chain at the back of the engine like the bmw 520d.

If the chain starts to give trouble it can be a big bill to fix,also the same goes for the 7g auto gearbox ,a really good service history would be needed before you pull the trigger.

In saying that if you got a could one they are a great cruiser.

Forget about a merc .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have had 5 adults in a Fluence for a 2 hr trip, the lad in the middle of the back seat was the smallest!

Great engine, comfortable car with a decent sized boot. Try get a tomtom version with the 6 speed gearbox. Had to do egr on ours at about 205,000 km. I'm not sure but I think the computer tells it to fail at this mileage. So you should be ok for a couple of years trouble free motoring at around 120-140,000 km. Timing belt should have been done at around the 125,000 km mark.

Another issue is parts tend to be expensive for original Renault stuff. Dacia with the same engine might be a cheaper option, but won't be as comfortable or have too many extras.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

E class watch out for the rear subframe rusting. Mercedes are/were replacing them on a goodwill basis but the wait time for a fix can be over six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭User1998

The 2.1 engine is fairly solid but everything else can give trouble. Between my mates C Class and my old E Class we had issues with the gearbox, DPF, Adblue, electronics, subframes, expensive consumable parts, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

most stupid suggestion for 6 k ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭djan

They're not really much different to other cars unless you're going through Mercedes dealerships or have the high performance models. The 2.1 diesel engines are quite reliable and overall the C/E class of that era were extremely common taxis around Europe so that tells you a lot.

Watch out for rear subframe rust which is an issue but is being fixed free of charge by dealers even old old cars (long waiting times).

Skoda have taken over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

Hyundai are load junk

Toyota avensis reliable compared to german cars

Looks nice, that's an elegance 140bhp, a work colleague has a similar engine in a Passat CC with 400k km on it. Still going strong with no dpf/egr issues.

Has upgraded park assist and folding mirrors as well. I had a 12 1.6 cr tdi Elegance, a nice car but the 2.0 would be nicer.

Yeah,looks nice,think I will have a look at it,thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement