Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used to shoot the foxes but now like to see them in the garden

Options
  • 19-03-2024 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭

Security cameras

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TheEngineer1

When you look at the barren grass monoculture that is the Irish countryside, it's amazing that they survive and thrive as well as they do here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Maybe the bowl of food he lets out for them is helping that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭clivej

All the good leftovers go out every evening now. The best fed and healthy looking pair of foxes, nearly time to see the cubs coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭sniperman

i used to shoot them one time as well,but one day was watching a mother and cubs playing,and just being wild animals,decided then would shoot no more,i know they can be a pest,but afaik they take/hunt for what they need,so for me i wont shoot any more,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its a startling trend across much of Western Europe alight where alot of wildlife is doing much better around towns and cities compared to the likes of intensive Dairy and Industrial Spruce forestry areas where the foot of natural foodchains like Wildflower Meadows, Butterflies, Bumble Bees and other farmland wildlife have essentially been sprayed and mechanically gouged out of existence, alot of it on the back of perverse Tax Payer funded incentives like the CAP(especially its earlier manifestations) :( . In contrast great work is being done by Tidy Town groups and other concerned parties to create Pollinator spaces etc. in as many urban green areas as they can. Albeit after some battles with the "Neat and Tidy" brigade which unfortunately still exist in some parts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they've no natural predators remember - the wolf, which might have been one, died out due to habitat loss and persecution.

The wolf is not coming back to Ireland anytime soon of course(b4 anyone starts getting excited and saying this post is advocating it!!), but it is true to say that fox populations here are probably 10X what they might naturally be in the absence of them. Its basically the difference between a generalist Meso Predator(Fox) and a Top predator(Wolf) and the implications of the removal of the latter for ecosystems. A good example of this is what happened when Wolves returned to Yellowstone and significantly reduced the population of Coyote and Fox to more natural levels which in turn restored populations of ground nesting birds like the Endangered Prairie Chicken etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Agreed, but that habitat loss extends to prey animals too - rabbits, hares, ground nesting birds etc. The fact that foxes are finding enough sustenance to thrive and multiply is amazing. I do a lot of fox drives with dogs and shotguns in the winters. The few covers that we have in rural north Cork are producing foxes week after week. It's amazing that foxes are there in the numbers that we're seeing.

Fox numbers are also getting a boost from heavy culling of deer in many places via Gralloch, farmers avoiding fallen animal charges(I don't blame them!!) and also there is an increasing amount of roadkill to be had too. Probably also some spill over from a thriving population originating from urban and suburban areas were food is pretty much unlimited for such an adaptable species. I would also throw in the fact that culling is only a fraction of what it was back in the 80's when the fur trade and far more active gun clubs hit populations hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Fox shooting and shooting in general is going only 1 way and that's downwards.Not many young lads on the pull want word out they're shooting fox as not many young women would be interested or except that in a possible partner so many don't take up shooting as a pastime.

Anyone who hunts animals I would say always have a hint of sadness when you cull one be that bird or mammal,it's only natural and as we get older we see our own mortality in the guise of a fox rearing young or big cock pheasant taking off in front of you and instead of shooting them we just smile and appreciate them.

In saying that I cull fox and Gray's on certain land as it's needed for nesting ground birds,but if the birds disappeared in the morning I'd more than likely leave them be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

It's all about balance. The fox is indeed a clever animal, and will survive when other species won't. They are very adaptable, and that is why they are so successful. It is important to keep their numbers in check, to protect more vulnerable species from disappearing altogether. Not the fox's fault of course, that these species are in trouble, but unfortunately they can tip the scale, to cause a negative impact to the survival of other species.

The real answer, is restoring habitat, but don't see that really happening in the Ireland of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Tons of foxes in Dublin now.

Always see them out after dark if driving in the suburbs. Not uncommon to see double figures on a short drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The ones I see always look as though they’re starving though, just skin and bone. I don’t know how they survive. What do they eat…or not as the ones I see aren’t getting much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Always in and out of peoples gardens when i see them, so must be raiding the bins.

Serious amount of them though once darkness falls.

Advertisement