Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh Network and Powerline Issues

Options
  • 19-03-2024 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

Not an expert here so hope my explanation make sense...

In my house, I have Vodafone fiber broadband as part of NBI scheme. I have a Google/Nest wifi router connected to my Vodafone router, and a number of Google/Nest wifi points in the house. Also have a few wired ports in the house that are connected to the Vodafone router. All is good with this set up as far as I know, consistently hitting ~500Mbps download speed

Last year I got a Solis invertor (for solar panels) installed in a sperate garage approx. 20m from house. There was no internet connection in the garage before the invertor was installed. The invertor installers set up a tplink av1000 powerline connection to the garage to get stats from the investor.

Problem that has arisen in the last few weeks: When I connect the ethernet cable from the tp-link av1000 into one of the lan ports of my vodafone router it makes the wifi in the house unusable. Unusable is that I might have wifi for 5/10 seconds a minute, not able to access websites etc.. As soon as I unplug the ethernet cable from the vodafone router I don't have any issues. I have googled but not able to find any similar scenario's / solutions.

Has anyone here seen anything similar or aware of anything I should investigate to try and resolve this issue? I have contacted the installers but like a lot of solar companies they are snowed under with work and the fact that my solar system is working, resolve the internet connection issue is a lower priority

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

try reset sodding thing and setup again

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭digitalsystem

Tried a few times and no joy unfortunately. Saw online something about updating firmware for the tplink devices so going to try that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

You could try a different brand if power line adapters. 20m is a long distance for them to work over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sounds like the cable or the powerline is causing interference. Change the cable. Move the adapter to a different room a different electrical loop. Use a long cable instead of the adapter. Replace powerline with another mesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Shoog

Could be that your inverter is on the Fritz and is flooding your electrical network with high frequency hash. Try turning off the inverter to see if the problem goes away.

At work one time we were commissoninsome enormous pumps which were effectively controlled by variable hertz inverters and every time we called them to run the whole wired network crashed and crashed the wholeplant. Turned out that the pumps power feed wasn't earthed correctly and the inverter was flooding the communication network with hash. Once the earthing was resolved everything was fine.

Eliminate the inverter as the source and if it is get the installer back to fault find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭digitalsystem

Tried this approach and it worked. I was concerned about the distance between the mesh points but doesn't seem to be an issue so happy days. Now just need to find another point to replace this one..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Probably doesn't need much data to work anyway. Least you have a workaround.

Advertisement