Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CGT on mixed investment portfolio allowable expenses.

Options
  • 19-03-2024 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Has anybody any experience of this scenario.

Are entry, annual and exit fees paid to and intermediary/broker on a portfolio containing shares, non governmental bonds and gold allowable expenses. I am already aware of the annual €1270 CGT credit.

Or direct me to a resource that answers this query.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Trading fees, as in buying and selling commissions = yes.

Annual fees for simply having the account = no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Thanks. The financial advice practice charges 0.5% to arrange the portfolio with a company that manages the fund and they in turn charge 1% set up fee. Can I take it that the 1% is allowable because it is a commission for buying stock but the 0.5% is not? Likewise on exit.

Thereafter the annual cost is 1.8%. As it is a managed fund there is trading of the various assets during the year but I am not doing the trading. How does the client know at end of tax year what if any commissions / trades to claim against CGT? Does the client get notification of the cost of trading and can the client claim for them.

This is the only relevant info I found on revenue.ie

What are ‘allowable expenses’?

These are costs that you can deduct from the sale price to work out your chargeable gain. They can be:

• costs (for example, fees paid by you to a solicitor or auctioneer) when you acquired and disposed of the asset.

I understand that means the allowable expenses are not in addition to the €1270 exemption but are to be subtracted from the sale price prior to calculating the CGT.

Ultimately I'm beginning to think that Tax and financial advice + Fees+inflation+CGT+hassle versus Gain is not worth it when compared to a straight forward easy access 4% deposit account less DIRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Be careful.

Managed funds in Ireland are subject to exit tax at 41%, not income tax and CGT.

My earlier reply applies to the situation where you hold the stocks and bonds directly.

Advertisement