Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare room in family home - Tips for renting

Options
  • 19-03-2024 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All, cash I getting tighter and tighter these days and we were thinking of renting out our spare room to help with the monthly cost. We are a family with two children (13/14yrs) and live in a quiet area of Dunboyne which is on the 70 bus route to city centre. Ideally we were thinking of renting out the spare room to a student who would take it Sunday night to Friday (and they would go home fro the weekend). But this is not a necessity, as blanch Connolly hospital is only 15mins away and maybe student nurses would be an option. Were do I start with all of this? Maynooth University is 40mins away on public transport but TUD is only 10mins and again city centre is 40mins.

How much should I be looking for as payment? what do I need to provide for them .... so many questions... I actually haven't a clue where to start. Is this a viable option for a family with two children and a dog.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I was thinking about doing that myself in a couple of years. I'll be retiring on a social welfare pension with a bit of a top up from my occupational pension. It won't pay for many luxuries. I was thinking of getting a college student as we're on a bus route into the city centre and UCD is quite accessible too. I know a few people who have rented out rooms, stipulate Monday to Friday only but I wouldn't do that. I don't think it would be fair on the student.

I think I'd provide a change of bed linen once a week and the use of the kitchen whenever they wanted. Not sure if I'd provide meals - probably not. I guess I'd ask €500 to €600 a month which would include bills, broadband etc. Our kids are adults now - we've only one at home so it would suit us alright assuming no one wants to return from abroad for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭xyz13

Here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058240738/rent-a-room-scheme-experiences/p1

Petit a petit l'oiseau fait son nid...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There are plenty of students - and workers - who are very happy with Monday to Friday only arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Hi OP, look at daft for rooms to rent. This will guide you for the going rate.

i would ask for a months deposit for security.

decide what way bills will be split.

need to find a room mate that your happy to share the house with. They will be around, sharing the living room, kitchen bathroom.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

OP, I don't have any experience of this but I think the attached might be useful to read, especially about what ground rules you might want to put in place, what is or is not included in the rent and so on.

It's written more in the form of guidance for the potential renter, but I think the questions are well worth reading and having a think about.

Regarding how much to charge, have a look online at ads in a similar set up, similar area and it will give you a figure to start with. Once you have your homework done, approach the hospital and the college as regards getting an ad for accommodation in with them.

Best of luck.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting-a-home/tenants-rights-and-responsibilities/sharing-accommodation-with-your-landlord/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You'll have absolutely no need to be washing their sheets for them either.

Advertisement