Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA murderer Pearse McAuley is dead

Options
  • 18-03-2024 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

They suspect he was dead for several days

<Mod Snip>

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

No loss.. Rest in peace, Jerry McCabe. Not long enough sentence served by McAuley.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

He not only murdered Jerry McCabe, but also tried to kill his own wife. A true loss to humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭podge3

Mary Lou et al have a funeral to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Northernlily

There'll be some political point scoring over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was he still considered to be a good republican and, if not, why - what was it that changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

A good republican, Garda killer and no loss to society- They haven't gone away you know and Sinn Fein will honour this thug and be put looking for votes not long after!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, he wasn't. He attacked his then wife with a knife and stabbed her numerous times. His then wife is now Pauline Tully, TD (SF).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He attacked his wife on Christmas day and left her for dead.

When I saw this I assumed he had died in prison. Silly me. Of course he'd be out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Post edited by silliussoddius on

I'm aware of his past. I'm curious to know if he will be honoured in the usual manner and what was the tipping point that changed peoples minds on him (is cold blooded murder ok but trying to kill your wife isn't?)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

Seemingly - from the newspaper report linked above in post #2:

"The ex-Provo was later disowned by republicans following the attack on his wife."

So they do have 'standards'. Imagine ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There isn’t a hole deep enough to bury that prick. Should be thrown in landfill to feed a family of seagulls. The rats can take the scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Francis McM

He shot his way out of Brixton prison in England in 1991 and fled to this country. After killing a Garda he was let out of prison after 10 years, although that is more than some cop killers in N.I. served. McAuley stabs his wife multiple times and is then let out of prison after not very many years. No sympathy for him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Will be interesting to see if Mary Lou appears at the funeral. He murdered a garda. Then he also stabbed his wife who was a sinn fein councillor. Cannot wait to hear the line the republicans come out with on this one. Unfair to animals to call him animal.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/violent-garda-killer-pearse-mcauley-27316766

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

His ex-wife is a SF TD. I very much doubt any of the top brass will attend his funeral. Might get Ferris to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Day out for his buddy and transport provider Martin Ferris.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I am watching with baited breath to see who has the bollix to turn up at that funeral to "pay their respects" I cannot think of any respect appropriate. Reading the news articles about him getting released "McAuley left jail shortly after 8am on Friday and was whisked away in a Northern registered white Ford Kuga. The driver, who picked McAuley up and was waiting for him since around 7am on Friday, also wore a hat and a neck warmer pulled up over his nose and under his eyes, covering his face."

So still scum around to support him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That woman is nothing more than a walking argument in favour of victim blaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not wishing to defend SF at all, but I can't find any reference to Pauline Tully excusing his crimes against her in any way, let alone with a claim of PTSD from the Troubles.

I would have thought a serious accusation like that against an innocent victim of domestic violence would warrant some evidence. Are you sure you have it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

No chance of Mary Lou attending this funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This funeral will probably be held in secret. Nobody will want to be associated with this psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Actually, I think the below is what i read. My interpretation is that she excused it for him being in prison, of course he was in prison for certain things. But no, i can't find direct references to ptsd/the troubles. The joy of memory. I will edit my post.

He was granted temporary release in 2003 so the pair could be married. Even at this stage of their relationship some signs of McAuley’s violent personality began to show.

“You make excuses for someone. You think ‘oh, it’s because he’s in here. It’s because he’s in prison, it’s bound to have an impact’. I passed no remarks. I just didn’t dwell on it. Maybe I didn’t want to,” said Tully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Great new i hope he died roaring and alone, bot he should have been in jail the rest of his sad sorry life ,

a good indication who sf consider their hero's , the shinnerbots will blear and man about political points but its a proven fact.

will mlm and her kind show up or ignore him away when their history is dragged into the light for their younger cult members

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

Not her call.

The inner circle in Belfast will decide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

SF still.proudly stand by that animal Conor Murphy despite him trying to paint that chap who was beaten to death by the IRA as a common criminal. And the little slimebag tried to weasel out of it by denying he said it until he was played a clip from a radio interview and he backtracked and said his comments were taken out of context. He never apologised to the family or even met them. That lad had every one of his bones broken his mother couldn't even put rosary beads in his hands in the coffin.

Murphy must have some clout in SF to get away with that. There he is in the background everytime O Neill or Mary Lou are doing the press round. David Cullinane was hauled over the coals for singing up the Ra in the 2020 election but it seems Murphy is bulletproof for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Obviously, this guy was a scumbag, no excuse for stabbing his wife. It doesn't matter that he was in prison. The killing of Jerry McCabe was completely unjustified as part of the PIRAs justified campaign. Those responsible should have been disowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

My understanding of the republican perspective is as below:

• The earlier IRA activities: Considered OK and justified, as part of the ongoing struggle/war at the time
    • The McCabe killing and post office robbery: A bit of a grey area, as he seems to have gone rogue here. To be honest, there are mixed signals on this. My suspicion is that republicans are embarrassed by him. Remember that it was pre-GFA and IRA were still active, they probably didn't want to hang him out to dry in order to get the Good Friday Agreement over the line with the hardliners.
    • The domestic violence stuff which came later: Condemned and disowned by republicans

• Advertisement

the PIRAs justified campaign

The campaign of terror and murder from the IRA was never, ever justified!

Advertisement