Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB supply looped to next door

Options
  • 18-03-2024 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, having the house completely re done. The supply is coming in underground from a mini pillar a few doors down. The plan was to move the meter to an external meter box on the other side of the house but it appears at the moment that the ESB supply is coming in through our house and is looped from our cut out through the wall into next door (although hard to tell but it looks that way) don’t get on with the neighbours so that’s going to be awkward. My question here is has anyone seen that before? I’ve never come across it. Secondly the electrical work hadn’t started yet but can I contact ESB myself to get them to investigate and make a plan in advance. Can they sort it out in advance of having the house certed? Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Looped supplies were common enough decades ago. Contact ESB Networks and they'll sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

I sent an email to ESB networks complete with my eircode etc. They sent a quote for €4500 to unloop the supply 2022). At the time I couldn't get Siro and cannot get a car charger (no need at moment) due to loop. The Circet guys managed to get me connected to siro which took a bit of digging in the garden but the electric supply is still looped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cheers could do without a big bill but it should probably be put right now. I’d like to have the option for a charger in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Why does the fact that ESB have looped a second house off your cutout impact your ability to add a car charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

They'll probably have to be separated for a supply upgrade anyhow if that's what the op is referring to

Might complicate the ESBN works as they're both supplied from a single duct atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

This is completely normal.

What is your own supply limited to in the cut out I wonder? 80A 63A?

Have you enquired with a sparks if an EV connection is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

It doesn't effect one house, the first connection but it prevents the second home looped from getting a car charger. Not sure if it's because of draw through one point if 2 cars connected . Same with a siro connection in most cases because one duct from street to two homes. Took a bit of digging to get our connection for Siro.

The supply is limited by the customers main protective device 50, 63 amp etc

Ya can't just up the draw to the esbn fuse capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Correct.

It would also be governed by the tails from the cut out to the CU.

Tails, main protective device and main board rating are sized according to the MIC

ESBN have standard fuse sizes for different MICs

ie; 80 , 100 , for 12 and 16 kva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sorry the main reason to get it split is the meter and board both have to move to the other side of the house. Meter to new external box in side entrance and board to side extension. So currently the mains comes into our house on the stairs at a height right between floors then loops next door. The stairs are moving too so the opening will need to be closed up.

Advertisement