Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pest Identification Thread

Options
  • 18-03-2024 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'd like to get this guy identified and if he is a pest or not, so thought to start a thread as the season is coming :)

I thought this might be just a butterfly, but then I found 3 of these caterpillars near each other, but IN the soil, as I was digging around today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just did a reverse image search, I have no idea really. This looks like it though there are several very similar looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Could be a type of Webworm, there are some that survive on the roots of grass so can cause damage like brown areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 81r2

Might this be the one? I personally cannot say. Just interested to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Julia_G

I think yes, it looks like a moth! Interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Hi,

I've found a couple of these bugs in my polytunnel, I think they might be shield bugs according to google. Could anyone advice if they are likely to cause damage? I can't seem to find a definitive answer online.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

Yes. Definitely shield bugs.

They are generally considered do no damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Thanks blackbox, would you know if it's the same story for the green version of these fella's? Generally harmless?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Hey folks

I found these in two locations within my home. Behind furniture. Any idea what they are and if I need to call an expert in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are they moths? Is there any wool in the furniture you moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Varied carpet beetle - A nasty infestation to have and is a long-term problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, you really have a problem with carpet beetles - my sister has spent at least 12 months trying to get rid of them, she has replaced all carpets (admittedly old and ready for replacement) with hard floors. You can get traps for them which at least show if they are still around (pheromone traps) but vaccuming, cleaning and getting rid of/hot washing infested fabrics/carpets/upholstery/furnishings/clothing is the only way to go. She has now pretty much suceeded but it has been a slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Great. Thanks for the Info.

They must come from the couch as we don't have carpet.

The home was unoccupied for 8 weeks and we found them upon our return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Don't be put off by their (stupid) name. From what I know, they love wooden floors and badly fitting skirting boards - The big issue that turns it into a war of attrition, is the fact that their eggs can lie dormant for years before hatching. This is the time of year for them

What are in your pics are either adults that came into the house or recent hatchees starting on their adult journey. The larvae are disgusting hairy little yokes and are basically eating machines that can munch through natural fibre cloths etc but will survive just fine eating the stuff on the floor (the same as ends up in a vac bag)

So you have to consider that the lads in pics were running amok while you were away and have laid lots more eggs around the place

Advertisement