Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 way light switch problem

Options
  • 18-03-2024 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for a little help. I have a bedroom with 3 light switches operating one ceiling light. We put insulation boards on the wall and as a result I had to take 2 of the 3 light switches off (the ones either side of the bed). The light switch at the door was not touched. I am struggling to rewire so I'm looking for help. The first pic below is the light switch at the door. It has 4 cables total, one with 2 browns (going to L1 and L2 on the switch at the door.

On the left of the bed there are 3 cables, one with 2 brown wires the others with one brown wire.

On the right of the bed there are 2 cables, two brown in each.

I've tried multiple combinations without success. It is driving me nuts. Can someone please advise me? I have a multimeter so can check which wire is which.

Cheers

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

The switch on the left of the bed should be a 2 way switch, with 3 terminals. The single wire probably goes to the light, so this will go to the 'common' terminal, the other 2 brown cables will go to L1 and L2.

The switch on the right should be an intermediate switch with 4 terminals, one pair of brown cables goes to the 'IN' terminals, the other pair goes to the 'OUT' terminals.

Terminal names/numbers will vary a little but depending on the make of switch but that's generally what you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJ O Malley

Thanks very much. I was trying to use 2 switches with 3 terminals which was my mistake. I checked another room and see. I had gone wrong. Your message confirmed my mistake.. I found one with 4 terminals and all is good now. Really appreciate the help.

Kind regards

John

Advertisement