Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Suspended following Hit and Run incident

Options
  • 18-03-2024 12:24pm

alleged the Garda was involved in the hit and run I might add.

GSOC investigation started and the Garda has been suspended. The pedestrian killed in the incident was a well known Louth GAA player (former) and current manager.

The poor guy. My thoughts to his family, friends and GAA club members. Shocking that an off duty garda would have such little cop on to drive away from an incident like this. They’d have to know first hand the problems this can cause for them.

Hopefully this investigation doesn’t take 3 years, though.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Always a possibility that he wasn't the one driving the car, but that's unlikely I admit.

If he did flee the scene, then you can assume it's because he wanted to hide something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Deepest condolences to his family. May he rest in peace. As for the possibility of a Garda being involved he/she is a human being. No matter what your training when something catastrophic occurs, like this, then self preservation can kick in. None of us can say for any certainty what we would do in such a scenario as this Garda was in. We can speculate and give idealised answers all we want until the eventuality arises.

It's a tragic situation all around. If you have been, even accidently, responsible for a death like a road death then it's a mental life sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Let's not make allowances for someone knowingly leaving a person to die alone on the side of the road.

If it was a scrote with no licence or insurance people wouldn't do it. And they shouldn't for a Garda, who is someone more versed in the laws and held to a higher standard & expected to uphold the law

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

^ I agree.

Rules are for everyone. The days of someone bring let off simply by whatever position they hold should be well behind us.

I would like to think any investigation is above board and free from influence but I won't hold my breath.

Rip to the pedestrian involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Was the gardai tested for alcohol and drugs?

• Advertisement

Ah cop on would you. He left him to die. I don’t care what panic he felt. Imagine how the poor person he hit felt? Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

Unless he tried to 'help' out the person who was actually driving and cover his or hers tracks..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,680 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah cop on would you. He left him to die.

"Alleged" - Your own words.

excuse me? Is there some question of whether or not the individual was killed?

The allegations are the off duty garda hit him and fled the scene. There’s no question if he died or not.

Also real classy reply arguing about semantics when a man has lost his life due to the selfish behaviour of another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Citizen2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

Do we know for sure if the guard was driving or has he tried to cover up for someone else? Whoever was driving, well it's a terrible thing to leave someone at the roadside..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Any Garda would know that the punishment in Ireland if they hung around is menial unless there were other circumstances. Just saying.

excuse me? Is there some question of whether or not the individual was killed?

Ahem,

alleged hit and run I might add.

Emphasis yours.

The individual is apparently and reportedly dead, yes, however that is not what you just argued, you asserted "He left them to die" that is an allegation of a hit and run, not a tried and true fact. "alleged" selfish behavior. Your own words. You're excused... - Stay classy Raichu.

Ah here are you being intentionally obtuse or something?

I said the garda is alleged to have been involved. Maybe he wasn’t.

There’s absolutely no question the man dead was ran over and left to die. Like surely you’re not arguing this with me?

Do you think he ran himself over like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's hard to see how this is a useful thread.

Are you being obtuse... with yourself?

You made it clear in the OP this was an allegation only. Now you're editorializing and inserting bias, jumping to the conclusion he left him for dead as some sort of malicious act, crime, etc. if as you point out, he wasn't found to have been involved, then no he didn't 'leave him for dead.'

No I dont. But would it be fair to suggest if they were not somehow placed at the scene in the vehicle that hit them he wouldn’t be suspended pending an investigation by GSOC?

I imagine an equally fair suggestion is that if it was them being a member of the Gardai absolutely does not absolve them of what they did and infact makes it a lot worse.

The Gardai are supposed to help us not mow us down.

I tend to agree, it seems to be a vehicle for venting biases and drumming up outrage for something that will, inevitably, wind up before the courts, so the misinformation and leaping to conclusions about criminality, "selfish behavior," etc. are detrimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Whatever happened is tragic beyond words. Nobody should leave the scene of an incident, fatal or non-fatal.

I am very surprised that a Mod on this site, though posting personally, has started a thread that will only add or fuel speculation about what happened — as it already has after a few posts.

Maybe it's not wrong to start such a thread, but a Mod should ask if it's a good idea? Utimately if this ends up before the courts, as it most likely will, the thread will be closed to avoid speculation etc.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A basic level of civility is expected. If you cannot or do not want to interact in a civil manner then please do not post.

In addition please do not speculate. Stick to the reported facts.

• Advertisement

I don’t care if his hamster was driving the car. He was in a car involved in a collision with a pedestrian and as a member of the Gardai did nothing to help them.

Also have you any relevant news stories as opposed to the US? No offence Overheal, but the country is hardly an example of law and order.

Also have edited OP, the first line I did not realise was poorly worded, my mistake.

It’s not an alleged hit and run of course it is alleged the garda member suspended was involved.

Emergency services called at 2:30am to attend the scene of a badly injured pedestrian.

He was pronounced dead at the scene. Shortly after the Gardai found a car abandoned presumably which is undergoing forensic and other examinations at present.

Following those events a garda was suspended and referral made to GSOC.

Those are the facts we have to hand. It’s safe to assume without it being spelled out in detail for us that the garda being suspended would likely mean the vehicle is related to them somehow and therefore very unlikely they had no involvement.

Failing to remain at the scene besides being a crime and abhorrent behaviour as some have said is usually a sign of trying to hide an impairment. Either way if a garda member was involved it is a far more serious matter.

He was in a car 

That's not explicated in the reporting linked to in the OP.

No, but it is reported a vehicle “of interest” but not a patrol car was discovered nearby.

It was shortly after that discovery the garda was suspended and referred to GSOC.

Do you imagine then the car was theirs or related to them closely enough to be a suspect or was it just all random flip of a coin decision making from senior Gardai?

Look, maybe they are absolutely way off the mark, but it’s ridiculous to suggest the garda is not involved somehow.

while indeed there have been absolutely spurious suspensions reported within the Gardai, the bicycle incident and the garda charged with dangerous driving are perfect examples. But they did not flee the scene and get suspended without evidence of involvement.

Thats the part I am most aghast about here with you and that’s you appear to be trying to whitewash over any potential involvement because it hasn’t been directly reported.

But why else would they be suspended? I’m genuinely asking you what alternative explanation is available? The senior garda who made the referral just checked who wasn’t in work around 2:30am? Cmon man.

No, but it is reported a vehicle “of interest” but not a patrol car was discovered nearby.

It was shortly after that discovery the garda was suspended and referred to GSOC.

That's not enough information to jump to the conclusions you are.

Look, maybe they are absolutely way off the mark, but it’s ridiculous to suggest the garda is not involved somehow.

Well they are, at a minimum, the owner of the vehicle we can safely surmise, but that's about it for now. I think it's best to leave this alone, let the investigation and inevitably the courts play out, and commiserate for the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭bigroad

A Garda has been suspended but there is no charge yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Please stop speculating. The incident is under investigation and the facts will come out in the court case. RIP Niall McEneany.

I’m not speculating. I am literally reading this from the Indo article. Do you want to read it yourself before having a go?

• Advertisement

You speculated they were in the car for one. The report doesn’t state that.

Advertisement