Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel holes

Options
  • 18-03-2024 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Any idea what is causing these tiny holes all over the polytunnel? It's only a year old. They are also on the roof, which we assume might be birds, but they are also around the sides and really in the most random places, there isn't really a pattern. Maybe it could be general wear and tear, weather affecting it etc, but it's only a year old, seems a bit new for damage. Attaching pic of the worst one, will take some others later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Its birds. An insect crawls on the poly material. To the bird it is static somewhere in the air, and it goes and grabs or pecks it, creating a small or sometimes a large hole.

You can get a patching kit online. The holes are actually serious for the tunnel as strong wind can cause a tear - I know this from personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Cat scratching?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd second cats as a possible. Not scratching but running up onto the roof and sticking their claws in to get a grip. Its fairly rare, we had one cat that did it a lot and others that never did.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I'd say cats also because they are almost all beside one of the supports. The cat sees it as a pole/branch to climb up, especially if you have an adjacent wall or tree. Personal experience - caught the neighbours tabby scrambling up once. Have no idea how to stop them.

Advertisement