Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower pump recommendation

Options
  • 17-03-2024 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭

I'm having issues with a shower pump installed in 2015, a Salamander CT54. It's no longer starting unless given a shake of encouragement. Previously the shake was only needed every few showers but now it's more or less daily.

I took it apart today to see if there was anything obvious that could be repaired but to my eye all seals etc. looked intact. I was told that getting 9+ years out of a pump is good going, so maybe time for a replacement.

I considered swapping it out like-for-like, but that model isn't made any more. Further to that looking at reviews of the same brand it doesn't seem to be popular.

Is there a more highly recommended brand to go for? If so, what model would be a suitable replacement?

As much as I like Screwfix, I believe they're out of the question with warranties and UK fittings, so supplier recommendation would be welcome too.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Usually the failure to start is caused by the large capacitor inside in the unit failing.

Take it out go to a plumbing supplier and get a replacement. Usually the replacement capacitor is about 20 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foxhunter2024

Buying a capacitor without testing the old one is a waste of time and money.

It would be worth testing the reed switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

If you have to replace consider a Stuart Turner, not cheap but worth it in the long run. A 4 bar one (positive head) costs roughly €500

Advertisement