Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness benefit

Options
  • 17-03-2024 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

Just writing this to ask for advice, I worked as a nurse in the HSE for 10 years now and I developed a back injury in work 6 years ago but managed it well as I was in a lighter area. I left my old unit last year to try something new but it didn't work out and I now re-joined my old unit but in a heavier area as there were no other vacancies and I'm struggling with my back where it's affecting my sleep.

My question is if I am unable to move to a different area and have to go on long term sick leave what would my options be if I'm still stuck in this situation after my illness benefit gets exhausted after 2 years?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Disability Allowance - means tested

Invalidity Pension - based on PRSI contributions

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Difficult decisions ahead now.

If you cannot work as a nurse, you might have to go for a career change and look for work which suits your bad back better.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Invalidity Pension might be an option, for you.

Have a read of the attached link.

Advertisement