Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Soffit board, is that normal?

Options
  • 17-03-2024 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently installing some security cameras. I drilled a small hole through soffit to run cat6 cable. I was expecting to drill through the plastic soffit finish, into wood but no board exists. From the crawlspace, I can see that there is facia board underneath the finish, but no soffit board. I had assumed that both should exist. Is this normal?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Typically no timber soffit. Plastic soffit just fitted into J trim along wall and fixed to underside of timber fascia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I've fitted five cameras, two access points and a sensor or two into the plastic soffit. No issues after 8 years, lots of storms etc.

Depends on your cameras off course but they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Old homes had wood soffit. When we got PVC retrofitted it was nailed onto the wood. I'd imagine this is why you expect wood beh the PVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Went into Woodies and got self tightening rawl plugs for use with plaster board. They work a treat on the soffit material.

https://www.woodies.ie/rawlplug-plasterboard-plug-pack-of-100-1002942

Advertisement