Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day history

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Well, I never knew Patrick was never canonised. I'm always learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Canonisation wasn't really a thing until the eleventh century or so. So most early saints weren't canonised.

I had assumed he had been canonised much later. I remember way back in my childhood hearing that someone can't be made a saint until they've been dead for so many years, then they're they're dug up and if they haven't decomposed, and if they had performed certain miracles, they could then be canonised! Might have been hogwash though. Well, he's had the title so long now I suppose it's stuck! We never go near the 'celebrations' for St. Patrick's Day but I'm sure Patrick wouldn't be amused by what we've done in his memory, particularly as he was a saintly man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

Haven't they canonized mother Theresa.

It turns out she was a nasty piece of work.

At least nobody has a bad word to say about st. Patrick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Thanks for provivding an excuse to post an example of Bad History engendered by the journalistic method historical analysis: https://np.reddit.com/r/badhistory/comments/gcxpr5/saint_mother_teresa_was_documented_mass_murderer/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

Mass murderer? That's a bit extreme. A long way beyond nasty in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Most of the saints that are most commonly encountered have never been formally canonised. Mary, Paul, the twelve apostles, most of the national patron saints, etc etc — none of them have been canonised.

As speedsie says, it wasn't really a thing until the 11th century. Prior to that, the practice of venerating a particular person as a saint was mostly a sort of bottom-up, popular thing. A local bishop might decide to try to squash the veneration of a particular saint, or he might decide to promote it, but in both cases he was reacting to something that was already happening on the ground. And, whichever of those he tried, he wouldn't necessarily succeed. Even if popular veneration was successfully established and was endorsed by the bishop, this was a matter of only local significance. Ireland is full of saints who became saints in this fashion, and all but a handful of them are wholly unknown and unvenerated outside Ireland.

From the 11th century onwards they were trying to formalise the process, and put it more in the hands of bishops and less in the hands of the people. Note that this wasn't an attempt to make more saints, but rather fewer; it was an attempt at quality control. It was still a local matter; bishops investigated and approved (or didn't approve) the causes of candidates from their territory, and their decisions one way or the other were of local signficance only. Over the next five centuries Rome gradually took more and more of an interest in the question, and since about the sixteenth century canonisations have been handled in Rome, and decisions made are applicable throughout the church. But they never retrospectively examined the pre-1th century saints with a view to formally canonising them; their veneration was already well-established and well-accepted, so what would be the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Many thanks for that explanation. Loved the 'quality control' bit!!

Advertisement